Jaan Kalda Kinematics question -- What regions can this cannon reach with its projectile?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the region of space that a projectile can reach when shot from a cannon with an initial velocity and direction. The formula y=x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1) was derived and it was discussed that this is a quadratic equation. One person, Jaan Kalda, suggested adding y+gx^2/2v_0^2 to the equation, but the reasoning behind it was not fully understood.
roborangers
Homework Statement
A cannon is situated in the origin of coordinate axes
and can give initial velocity v0 to a projectile, the shooting direction can be chosen at will. What is the region of space R
that the projectile can reach?
Relevant Equations
but when i checked the solution i say that kalda added y+gx^2/2v_0^2 but i dont understand why
what i tried to do is to write y=v_0tsin alpha - 1/2gt^2 and x=v_0 cos alpha tand that t=x/v_0 cos alphai plug t in the formula for y and get that y= x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1)since jaan klada said there should be a quadratic equation (because its a parabola) i thought that gx^2/v_0^2 tan^2 alpha is a, -x tan alpha is b and gx^2/2v_0 is c and got another formula

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
roborangers said:
Homework Statement: A cannon is situated in the origin of coordinate axes
and can give initial velocity v0 to a projectile, the shooting direction can be chosen at will. What is the region of space R
that the projectile can reach?
Relevant Equations: but when i checked the solution i say that kalda added y+gx^2/2v_0^2 but i dont understand why

what i tried to do is to write y=v_0tsin alpha - 1/2gt^2 and x=v_0 cos alpha tand that t=x/v_0 cos alphai plug t in the formula for y and get that y= x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1)since jaan klada said there should be a quadratic equation (because its a parabola) i thought that gx^2/v_0^2 tan^2 alpha is a, -x tan alpha is b and gx^2/2v_0 is c and got another formula
This is not easy to read. Punctuation and spacing are important.

Likes berkeman
PeroK said:
This is not easy to read. Punctuation and spacing are important.
yes you are righ but i got it

The correct equation for the projectile trajectory is $$y=x\tan\alpha-\frac{gx^2}{2g}(1+\tan^2\alpha).$$The general equation for the quadratic equation is $$ax^2+bx+c=0$$.What exactly is your question? When you say "What is the region of space R that the projectile can reach?" do you mean in the horizontal direction only or in two dimensional space?

I don't know who Jaan Kalda is, but I think that you should include the whole answer that he provided not just the term that he added.

yes exactly i got that y is v_0^2/2g - gx^2/2v_0^2