Java DK is not getting installed

• Java
  • Thread starter hermy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the individual had mistakenly installed the Java Developers' Kit in the wrong location and attempted to change it by cutting and pasting the folder. However, this caused issues with uninstalling and deleting the folder. They then tried to reinstall using the correct destination, but encountered an error. The suggestion was made to reinstall over the old installation and then formally uninstall it, and to check for any relevant Microsoft support articles.
hermy
Hello!

I installed java developers' kit today, but in c:\program files by mistake. I wanted to change it to c:\, so initially I just cut-pasted it. It didn't work, so I uninstalled it (add or remove programs in control panel). However, when I tried to delete the "java" folder in c:\, it said that some file was write-protected and couldn't be deleted.

I tried to install java DK again, this time mentioning the correct destination, but it wouldn't install. I get an error no. 1721 saying that "there is a problem with this package of windows installer. A program required for this install to complete could not be run" . I am surprised because, earlier, when I had installed java (albeit, at the wrong destination) there was no such error.

I also tried System Restore, but the folder "java" is still stuck there, and I keep getting error 1721.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Try reinstalling over the old installation (in the same folder exactly). If that works, then formally uninstall that (via Control Panel). Then reboot, and try again.

Also, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891985 if you are on Win XP

Related to Java DK is not getting installed

1. Why is my Java DK not getting installed?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to compatibility issues with your operating system, corrupted installation files, or conflicting software on your computer.

2. How can I fix the issue of Java DK not installing?

First, try to re-download the installation files from a trusted source and make sure they are not corrupted. If that doesn't work, try disabling any conflicting software on your computer, such as antivirus or firewall. You can also try installing an older version of Java DK to see if that works.

3. Is there a specific order in which I need to install Java DK?

Yes, it is recommended to first uninstall any previous versions of Java DK before installing a new one. This will prevent any conflicts or errors during the installation process.

4. Can I install Java DK on any operating system?

No, Java DK is not compatible with all operating systems. Make sure to check the system requirements before attempting to install it. Additionally, make sure you are downloading the correct version for your specific operating system.

5. What should I do if I continue to encounter errors during the installation process?

If you are still experiencing issues after trying the above solutions, you can try installing Java DK on a different computer to see if the issue is specific to your device. You can also reach out to the Java DK support team for further assistance.