Kinematics of a kicked football

In summary, the conversation is about solving a kinematics question involving the equation x = vcos(theta)t. The person is seeking help and has tried various methods but cannot find the correct answer. They believe the answer should be "G" and suggest using the equation of trajectory and subtracting the height of the goal post. However, they also mention that none of the given answer options are correct when taking significant figures into account.
Josh0768
Homework Statement
Please help, I am thoroughly stumped trying to solve this kinematics question on my study guide. I’ve tried everything I know of but cannot get an answer that’s even an option.
Relevant Equations
R = v^2sin(2theta)/g
v^2 = vi^2 -2gd
x = vcos(theta)t
CE4D7DFC-357D-4EE6-8509-0FA17B8B104A.jpeg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Josh0768 said:
x = vcos(theta)t
You could solve that equation for the time it takes to reach the horizontal position of the goal post.
It seems to me that you have forgotten to write down the equation for the vertical position of a ballistic object as a function of time.

Likes Delta2
Josh0768 said:
I’ve tried everything I know
I assume you would like us to tell you where you are going wrong. Just a moment while I get out my crystal ball...

Likes berkeman and Delta2
Hello Josh.

How are you going to solve this problem without the equation for vertical position as a function of time? If you can figure out the elapsed time when the football is at the required height (3.05 m.) I think you can you then solve the rest of the problem.

AM

Josh0768 said:
Homework Statement: Please help, I am thoroughly stumped trying to solve this kinematics question on my study guide. I’ve tried everything I know of but cannot get an answer that’s even an option.
Homework Equations: R = v^2sin(2theta)/g
v^2 = vi^2 -2gd
x = vcos(theta)t

View attachment 249715
according to me the answer should be "G". Use equation of trajectory and put x=32.3 v=22.2 and theta=49.4 after plugging in the values you should get some "y" after that just subtract the height of the goal post.

If significant figures are to be taken into account, none of the answers are correct.

AM

Related to Kinematics of a kicked football

1. What is the kinematics of a kicked football?

The kinematics of a kicked football refers to the study of the motion of the football as it is kicked. This includes the initial velocity, acceleration, and trajectory of the football.

2. What factors affect the kinematics of a kicked football?

The kinematics of a kicked football can be affected by various factors, such as the initial velocity and angle of the kick, air resistance, and the surface on which the football is kicked.

3. How does the initial velocity of the kick affect the kinematics of the football?

The initial velocity of the kick is one of the most important factors in determining the kinematics of a kicked football. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer kick and a greater distance traveled by the football.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion in the kinematics of a kicked football?

Linear motion refers to the movement of the football in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the spinning motion of the football. Both types of motion are present in the kinematics of a kicked football and can affect the trajectory and distance traveled by the football.

5. How does air resistance impact the kinematics of a kicked football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the motion of a kicked football. This means that the football may not travel as far as it would without air resistance. The shape and surface of the football can also affect the amount of air resistance it experiences.