Kleppner and Kolenkow (block sliding in a ring)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and position of a block on a frictionless table constrained to move inside a fixed ring. The solution involves using Newton's second law and solving a differential equation to find the velocity and position at later times. The expert agrees with the solution but suggests a more efficient method of solving the problem.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

A block of mass ##m## slides on a frictionless table. It is constrained to move inside a ring of radius ##l## which is fixed on the table. At ##t=0##, the block is moving along the inside of the ring with tangential velocity ##v_0##. The coefficient of friction between the ring and the block is##\mu##. Find the velocity and position of the block at later times.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm not sure what is meant by later times, I consider a small interval of time where the block sticks to the ring, say ##I=[0,T]##, and the block is under circular motion in that interval.
Since we want to know the speed which will have only tangential component in circular motion, we have to calculate ##\dot\theta##.

As initial conditions, I get ##\dot\theta(0) = \frac{v(0)}{r(0)} = \frac{v_0}{l}## and ##\theta(0) = 0##

Since the block is under ring reaction force radially, and under friction force tangentially, I get by Newton's second law that ##a_{\theta} = \mu a_r##, only for time ##t## in ##I##. Therefore I get the differential equation
## \frac{\ddot\theta}{\dot\theta} = -\mu \dot\theta ##
which thanks to the initial condition gives
## \dot\theta =\frac{v_0}{l} e^{-\mu\theta}##
That equation is equivalent to
##\frac{d}{dt} (e^{\mu\theta}) = \mu\frac{v_0}{l}##
Solving it gives
## \theta(t) = \frac{1}{\mu} ln(1+\frac{\mu v_0}{l}t)##
So that
## \dot\theta(t) = \frac{v_0}{l}\frac{1}{1+\frac{\mu v_0}{l}t}##
Therefore
## v(t) = r(t) \dot\theta(t) =\frac{v_0}{1+\frac{\mu v_0}{l}t}##
and
## \vec r(t) = l (cos(\theta) \vec i + sin(\theta) \vec j ) ##

3. Question
I begin in physics and I'm unsure about the solution, the question is not very clear either and I find the proof more complicated than other exercises in the book. Does it look good to you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation looks good. But the solution you found is not correct.

Thanks for replying.
What part do you disagree with ? I have done calculations again and I find the same result.

Sorry, I misread your solution. Somehow it seemed to me that you had ##e^{-\mu t}##, whereas you had ##e^{-\mu \theta}##. I will check the rest of your work now.

Yes, no problem. Let me know what you think afterwards.

I get the same answer, a slightly different way. I integrated ##\frac{d\omega}{\omega^2} = -\mu dt##.

Your way is much better since you get to the result in a single pass while I have to do it in two passes to get to the same result.
Thanks !

Related to Kleppner and Kolenkow (block sliding in a ring)

1. What is the concept of "block sliding in a ring" in Kleppner and Kolenkow?

Block sliding in a ring is a common example used in introductory physics textbooks, such as Kleppner and Kolenkow's "An Introduction to Mechanics." It involves a block that is constrained to move in a circular path, such as a bead on a wire or a car on a circular track.

2. What are some key principles that can be learned from studying block sliding in a ring?

Studying block sliding in a ring can help develop an understanding of concepts such as circular motion, centripetal acceleration, and Newton's laws of motion. It can also demonstrate the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

3. What are some real-world applications of block sliding in a ring?

Block sliding in a ring has many practical applications, such as understanding the forces acting on a car driving around a circular track, or the motion of satellites in orbit around a planet. It can also be used in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its motion in a ring?

The mass of the block affects its motion in a ring through the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. A heavier block will require more force to maintain its circular motion, while a lighter block will require less force. However, the mass of the block does not affect the speed of its motion in a ring.

5. What are some common misconceptions about block sliding in a ring?

One common misconception is that the block's speed increases as it moves around the ring, but in reality, its speed remains constant. Another misconception is that the force acting on the block is always directed towards the center of the circle, but in some cases, it may be directed in a different direction depending on the constraints of the system.