Kvl Left Side: Can't Understand Member?

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of coupling, M, for two inductors, L1 and L2. The current passing through L2 induces a voltage in L1, with a value of I2*M. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation of M, as it should be j40 instead of j50. The conversation also mentions the impact of the other coil and the formula for finding K.
nhrock3
2efrnmf.jpg

i can't understand how they how the member of which i point too

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't designated the two inductors, so I'm going to call the inductor which is common to the two loops L1, and the other inductor L2.

The term you're asking about comes about because the current I2 passes through L2 and induces a voltage in L1. The voltage induced in L1 has the value I2*M.

I think you may have made a mistake in calculating M. It looks like you didn't properly take into account the coefficient of coupling which is .8. Shouldn't M be j40 instead of j50?

L1 is 0.02
L2 is 0.005
is there still a mistake?

nhrock3 said:
L1 is 0.02
L2 is 0.005
is there still a mistake?

M = .8 * SQRT(.02*.005) = .8 * .01 = .008

then its impedance would be 40j, not 50j.

so if k=0.8 than we need to add 0.8 I2
this is the affect of the other coil
??

they say jwM=j*5000*0.01=50

Look at the computation you have in your image:

0.8 = K = |M|/SQRT(L1*L2) => |M| = .8*SQRT(L1*L2). (What happened to the .8?)

From that M = .008

You should be able to find K = M/SQRT(L1*L2) in any textbook, or here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductance

Perhaps "they" have made a mistake; it does happen.

Related to Kvl Left Side: Can't Understand Member?

1. What is Kvl Left Side?

Kvl Left Side is a mathematical equation used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage on the left side of a circuit.

2. How does Kvl Left Side work?

Kvl Left Side uses the principle of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. By applying this law to the left side of a circuit, the voltage can be calculated.

3. Why can't I understand member in Kvl Left Side?

The term "member" in Kvl Left Side refers to a specific element in the circuit, such as a resistor or a capacitor. If you are having trouble understanding this term, it may be helpful to review the basics of circuit components and their functions.

4. Is Kvl Left Side the same as Kvl Right Side?

No, Kvl Left Side and Kvl Right Side are two different equations used in circuit analysis. Kvl Right Side is applied to the right side of a circuit, while Kvl Left Side is applied to the left side.

5. How is Kvl Left Side used in scientific research?

Kvl Left Side is commonly used in scientific research to analyze and understand the behavior of electrical circuits. It allows scientists to calculate the voltage on a specific side of a circuit and make predictions about how the circuit will function.