(kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) solution for a free particle with PBC?

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between Dirichlet and periodic boundary conditions and their implications for the wavefunction. While a zero energy solution is possible with a Dirichlet boundary, it is not normalizable. However, with periodic boundary conditions, a non-trivial solution with a constant term is possible. This constant term is not strange and does not indicate the presence of a momentum operator.
Coffee_
When dealing with Dirichlet boundary conditions, that is asking for the wavefunction to be exactly zero at the boundaries, it can be clearly seen that (0,0,0) is not a physical situation as it is not normalizable. (Wavefunction becomes just 0 then)

However when dealing with periodic boundary conditions, the basis is spanned by ##e^{i\vec{k}.\vec{r}}## where the only condition on ##\vec{k}## is that it has to correspond with ##L^{3}## cubic periodicity.

The problem now is that ##\vec{k}=0## does seem to give a non trivial solution with zero energy ##\Psi=constant## which is periodic and noralizable.

How do I interpret this werid 'constant' term in the general wavefunction part?

Sources:

Kittel eigth edition, p137

http://people.umass.edu/bvs/pbc.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is weird?

To the contrary, it's not weird, but it's weird to think that with the Dirichlet boundary conditions you'd have a momentum operator. There is none, because there is no self-adjoint operator generating translations in this case. We have discussed this many times in this forum. Just search for it!

Oh I was thinking it was weird because I have never encountered such an extra constant term in the wavefunction so I was doubting my reasoning to arrive at the extra constant term. Based on your reactions I see that there is indeed nothing special about it, thanks.

Related to (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) solution for a free particle with PBC?

What is the meaning of (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) in the context of a free particle with PBC?

The values (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) represent the momentum of a free particle in three-dimensional space. In this case, the particle has zero momentum in all three directions.

What does PBC stand for in relation to a free particle?

PBC stands for periodic boundary conditions. This means that the system is assumed to repeat itself periodically, creating a "box" in which the particle can move.

Why is the solution (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) significant for a free particle with PBC?

The solution (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) is significant because it represents the lowest energy state of the particle. This means that the particle is at rest and has no kinetic energy.

How does the (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) solution relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we know its momentum. In the case of the (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) solution, the particle has a well-defined position (at the origin) and therefore, its momentum is completely uncertain.

Can a free particle with PBC have a non-zero value of (kx,ky,kz) other than (0,0,0)?

Yes, a free particle with PBC can have non-zero values of (kx,ky,kz). These solutions correspond to different energy states of the particle and are known as "plane waves". However, the (kx,ky,kz)=(0,0,0) solution is the lowest energy state and therefore, the most likely state for the particle to be in.