Labelling sets in a Venn diagram

B AND NOT Aset {1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11} is A AND BIn summary, the conversation is discussing the task of labeling sets in a Venn diagram based on a provided PDF file. The first set, A, is a collection of odd numbers while the relationship for the second set, B, is unclear. The question is asking to classify each set, but it is unlikely that there is a specific pattern to be found. The task is to simply label the sets, such as identifying the intersection and union, based on the given information. There may not be enough data provided to determine which sets are
samirgaliz

Homework Statement

Label each set in the following Venn diagram as described in the attached pdf file.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Unable to find a relationship that can describe the second set B. Obviously set A is a collection of Odd numbers.

Attachments

• problem.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this all the information there is? If so, I think the question is asking you to identify the unions, intersections, whatever. I doubt the fact that the numbers in A all happen to be odd is of any relevance.

Thanks for your reply. The question is asking to classify each set. There seems to be a pattern or relationship between the two sets that I can not figure out!

I find it extremely unlikely that you would be asked to find a pattern here. There just isn't enough data to go on, and it's not the sort of question likely to be asked in elementary set theory.
In your first post you said 'label the sets'. That's not the same as finding a pattern in them, and is a much more reasonable task. Trouble is, 'the sets' is rather vague. In the PDF, two sets are already labelled, A and B. What's unclear is which other sets are to be labelled, but you could obviously label the intersection of A and B, and universal set. You could also identify the union and the complements, though those might be harder to indicate in a drawing.
Are you quite sure there's no other information which might indicate which sets you are expected to label?

samirgaliz said:

Homework Statement

Label each set in the following Venn diagram as described in the attached pdf file.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Unable to find a relationship that can describe the second set B. Obviously set A is a collection of Odd numbers.

I think, clearly, they are looking for groupings such as:

set {567, 845, 931} is A AND NOT B

Related to Labelling sets in a Venn diagram

What is a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is a visual tool used to show relationships between different sets of data. It consists of overlapping circles or shapes, with each circle representing a set and the overlapping region representing the intersection of the two sets.

How do I label sets in a Venn diagram?

To label sets in a Venn diagram, simply write the name of the set inside the corresponding circle or shape. If there are more than two sets, you can use different colors or symbols to differentiate them.

What is the purpose of labelling sets in a Venn diagram?

The purpose of labelling sets in a Venn diagram is to clearly identify and differentiate the different sets and their relationships within the diagram. This helps to make the information more organized and easier to understand.

How do I determine the regions to label in a Venn diagram?

The regions to label in a Venn diagram are determined by the intersection of the sets. If there is no intersection or overlap between two sets, then the region between the circles or shapes representing those sets should be left blank.

Can I label sets in a Venn diagram with numbers or symbols instead of words?

Yes, you can label sets in a Venn diagram with numbers or symbols instead of words. This can be useful when dealing with large or complex sets, as it can make the diagram easier to read and understand.