Labview FPGA control AD9854 help

In summary, the individual is attempting to use Labview to control two AD9854's for generating signals in an optical trapping setup. They do not have much experience with Labview or programming in general and are looking for assistance with the VI's needed for this task. They are currently using VI's from the Comstock Lab and have a PXI-7854R and SCB-68A breakout box connected to the AD9854. They have successfully resolved a timing issue and are now able to generate sine waves.
RusBus123
I am trying to write a Labview program to control two AD9854's which will generate the signal for AODs in an optical trapping setup. Unfortunately I'm not an EE and I don't have much experience with Labview so I was wondering if someone already had the VI's to do this with Labview FPGA. We have a PXI-7854R installed in a PXIe-1062 Chassis. The 7854R is connected to a SCB-68A breakout box which is then connected to the AD9854 via ribbon cable. the AD9854 has a 14-pin DIP, 49.152 MHz fixed output, HCMOS logic, temperature compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) installed (we are just using one board for now to test bench). I have been working off of the VI's supplied by the Comstock Lab which are available here: https://www.pa.msu.edu/people/comstock/software.html%C2%A0 but we only need the AD9854 control portion, not the whole Fleezers control. My project is attached if you want to take a look, I think its a timing issue. any help would be much appreciated. I can add more info if needed. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
RusBus123 said:
I am trying to write a Labview program to control two AD9854's which will generate the signal for AODs in an optical trapping setup. Unfortunately I'm not an EE and I don't have much experience with Labview
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you constrained to using LabView, or can you use another National Instruments programming paragigm? Do you have any other programming experience? How about others on your team? I'm currently using C# and NI Measurement Studio, which I'm much more comfortable with compared to the graphic icons of LabView.

Also, posting a ZIP file is problematic. ZIP files can carry viruses and present other problems. Can you post PDFs of what you are trying to show us? Thanks.

We got it working! Just needed some help from someone with some programming experience to do a bit of debugging. Making Beautiful sine waves now! Sorry about the .zip file.

1. What is Labview FPGA?

Labview FPGA stands for "Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench Field Programmable Gate Array." It is a software platform that allows for the design and implementation of custom digital circuits on a field programmable gate array (FPGA) for use in control and measurement systems.

2. What is the AD9854?

The AD9854 is a direct digital synthesizer (DDS) chip that can generate precise and stable frequency signals in the range of 0 Hz to 75 MHz. It is commonly used in RF applications for frequency synthesis and modulation.

3. How can Labview FPGA control the AD9854?

Labview FPGA has built-in drivers and libraries that allow for easy communication and control of external hardware, including the AD9854. These drivers can be accessed through the Labview FPGA software and used to configure and send commands to the AD9854.

4. What are the benefits of using Labview FPGA to control the AD9854?

Using Labview FPGA for controlling the AD9854 offers several advantages, including real-time processing capabilities, high-speed data acquisition, and the ability to easily integrate with other Labview modules and hardware. Additionally, Labview's graphical programming interface makes it accessible to users without extensive coding knowledge.

5. Where can I find resources for using Labview FPGA to control the AD9854?

There are various online resources available for learning how to use Labview FPGA to control the AD9854, including tutorials, forums, and official documentation from National Instruments, the creator of Labview. Additionally, there are numerous books and courses available for purchase that cover Labview FPGA and its applications in depth.

Back