Laminar Flow: Finding Viscosity of Oil

In summary: I got the acceleration of the ball at that instant, that wouldn't bring me any closer to finding the time, right? Can v(t) = -(mg*e^((-b/m)t))/b + mg/b give me the right time?That's the solution to the equation I gave you with the buoyant force neglected and v(0) = 0. You did know that, in the equation I gave you, you were supposed to substitute a = dv/dt, right
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Finding the viscosity of oil...

Homework Equations

η = b/(6∏r)
Fr = -bv

The Attempt at a Solution

The question only gives a radius, mass, density of oil, and terminal velocity. Is it possible to get the viscosity with the given information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

Finding the viscosity of oil...

Homework Equations

η = b/(6∏r)
Fr = -bv

The Attempt at a Solution

The question only gives a radius, mass, density of oil, and terminal velocity. Is it possible to get the viscosity with the given information?
Yes. This sounds like a falling ball viscometer test. It is often used to measure the viscosity of highly viscous fluids. You do a force balance on the ball, taking into account the buoyant force on the ball, the weight, and the drag force. The drag force of the fluid on the ball is given by the equations you wrote down. This is called Stokes' Law.

Hmmm we haven't learned this. I will have to look it up on my own.

Ok so I just saw that the velocity given was the terminal velocity so then Fr = mg, and you can figure out b and η pretty easily. What I do not understand is this, if you wanted to get the time it takes for this object to go from 0 to half the terminal velocity, how would you get the it if the acceleration of the object is not constant?

Panphobia said:
Ok so I just saw that the velocity given was the terminal velocity so then Fr = mg, and you can figure out b and η pretty easily. What I do not understand is this, if you wanted to get the time it takes for this object to go from 0 to half the terminal velocity, how would you get the it if the acceleration of the object is not constant?

[tex]ma = mg-6πrη v-\frac{mgρ_F}{ρ_B}[/tex]

The last term on the right is the buoyant force. ρF is the density of the fluid, and ρB is the density of the ball material.

Chet

but this has nothing to do with getting the time for the ball to get to half of terminal velocity right? the terminal velocity = 4 cm/s, so half = 2 cm/s, even if I got the acceleration of the ball at that instant, that wouldn't bring me any closer to finding the time, right? Can v(t) = -(mg*e^((-b/m)t))/b + mg/b give me the right time?

Panphobia said:
but this has nothing to do with getting the time for the ball to get to half of terminal velocity right? the terminal velocity = 4 cm/s, so half = 2 cm/s, even if I got the acceleration of the ball at that instant, that wouldn't bring me any closer to finding the time, right? Can v(t) = -(mg*e^((-b/m)t))/b + mg/b give me the right time?
That's the solution to the equation I gave you with the buoyant force neglected and v(0) = 0. You did know that, in the equation I gave you, you were supposed to substitute a = dv/dt, right?

Chet

Related to Laminar Flow: Finding Viscosity of Oil

1. What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid motion where the particles move in smooth, parallel layers with no cross-mixing between layers.

2. How is laminar flow different from turbulent flow?

In turbulent flow, the particles move in a chaotic and unpredictable manner, with frequent mixing between layers. In laminar flow, the particles move in an orderly manner with little to no mixing.

3. How is viscosity related to laminar flow?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In laminar flow, the viscosity of the fluid affects the speed and smoothness of the flow.

4. How do you determine the viscosity of oil using laminar flow?

To determine the viscosity of oil using laminar flow, you can perform a simple experiment where you measure the time it takes for the oil to flow through a narrow tube. The longer the time, the higher the viscosity of the oil.

5. Why is understanding laminar flow and viscosity important in scientific research?

Laminar flow and viscosity are important concepts in many fields of science, such as fluid mechanics, chemistry, and engineering. Understanding these concepts can help scientists and engineers design better systems and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.