Laplace equation

In summary: The Laplace equation should read $$u(r,\theta) = \sum A_nr^n P_n\color{red}{(\cos\theta)} = A_0P_0(\cos\theta) + A_1rP_1(\cos\theta) + A_2r^2P_2(\cos\theta) +\ldots.$$
Poirot1
A metallic spherical shell occupying the region given in terms of spherical polar coordinates \( (r, \theta, \phi)\) by \(r \le a \) has its surface \(r = a\) maintained at temperature

\(u(a,\theta)=1 + \cos(\theta)+2 \cos^2(\theta) \)

Using the general solution for the Laplace equation \( u(r,\theta)=\sum A_n r^n P_n \) where the Pn are legendre polynomials, find the (axisymmetric) steady state temperature distribution \(u(r,\theta) \) within the shell.<<there was a long incomprehensible expression here which seems to have disappeared ?>>
You may assume the legrendre polynomials (first three) and that Legendre polynomials satisfy the orthogonality relation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid the some of your notation is incomprehensible. It is generally not possible to copy formatted mathematics into the question input box and have it render correctly.

I have changed some of your expressions to the LaTeX we use here, though some of the expressions look wrong, but there is still a large expression that makes no sense <<which seems to have disappeared not only from the post but from the edit history>>.

CB

Last edited:
Thanks CB. I did it in proper code and then my internet stopped working so I tried to copy and paste. I don't know what expression you are referring to but you have all you need.

Poirot said:
A metallic spherical shell occupying the region given in terms of spherical polar coordinates \( (r, \theta, \phi)\) by \(r \le a \) has its surface \(r = a\) maintained at temperature

\(u(a,\theta)=1 + \cos(\theta)+2 \cos^2(\theta) \)

Using the general solution for the Laplace equation \( u(r,\theta)=\sum A_n r^n P_n \) where the Pn are legendre polynomials, find the (axisymmetric) steady state temperature distribution \(u(r,\theta) \) within the shell.<<there was a long incomprehensible expression here which seems to have disappeared ?>>
You may assume the legrendre polynomials (first three) and that Legendre polynomials satisfy the orthogonality relation.
The general solution for the Laplace equation should read $$u(r,\theta) = \sum A_nr^n P_n\color{red}{(\cos\theta)} = A_0P_0(\cos\theta) + A_1rP_1(\cos\theta) + A_2r^2P_2(\cos\theta) +\ldots.$$ If you substitute the formulas for the first three Legendre polynomials (which you are allowed to assume, so presumably you ought to know them), ignore the remaining terms, and put $r=a$, then you get the equation for the surface temperature in the form $A_0P_0(\cos\theta) + A_1aP_1(\cos\theta) + A_2a^2P_2(\cos\theta) = 1 + \cos\theta + 2\cos^2\theta.$ Now all you have to do is to compare coefficients of powers of $\cos\theta$ in order to determine the values of $A_0$, $A_1$ and $A_2.$

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I did that, substitued x=acosϕsin θ, and it didn't work out. Was I meant to do that?

Last edited:

Related to Laplace equation

What is Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a potential field in a given region. It is named after mathematician and physicist Pierre-Simon Laplace.

What are the applications of Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model the flow of heat, electricity, and fluid in different systems. It also has applications in electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What is the general form of Laplace equation?

The general form of Laplace equation is Δu = 0, where u is the potential field and Δu represents the Laplacian operator. In Cartesian coordinates, it can be written as ∂2u/∂x2 + ∂2u/∂y2 + ∂2u/∂z2 = 0. In polar coordinates, it is written as 1/r ∂/∂r (r ∂u/∂r) + 1/r22u/∂θ2 = 0.

What are the boundary conditions for Laplace equation?

The boundary conditions for Laplace equation depend on the specific problem being solved. In general, there are two types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the value of the potential field is specified at the boundary, and Neumann boundary conditions, where the normal derivative of the potential field is specified at the boundary.

How is Laplace equation solved numerically?

Laplace equation can be solved numerically using various methods such as finite difference method, finite element method, or spectral methods. These methods discretize the equation and solve it iteratively to obtain an approximate solution. The accuracy of the solution depends on the chosen discretization scheme and the number of iterations.