Last scatter by e-, light looks hotter, cooler, time, wavelength.

In summary: The B-mode polarization signal peaks at about 2 degrees across the sky. At the time, this was a distance of about 1.5 million light years. So yes, the oscillation period was clearly greater than the time that it took for the plasma to neutralize.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Over what approximate time frame does 90% (most) of last scattering occur, minutes, seconds, fraction of a second?

How does this time frame relate to the period of the gravitational radiation?

If the period of gravitational radiation were short it would washout b-modes?

Thanks for any help!

Space news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Over what approximate time frame does 90% (most) of last scattering occur, minutes, seconds, fraction of a second?

How does this time frame relate to the period of the gravitational radiation?

If the period of gravitational radiation were short it would washout b-modes?

Thanks for any help!
What scattering are you talking about?

Chalnoth said:
What scattering are you talking about?

When the Universe became transparent to light from the afterglow, light no longer scattered.

Spinnor said:
When the Universe became transparent to light from the afterglow, light no longer scattered.
The surface of last scattering is quite thick in time. If I recall correctly, it took around 300,000 years for our universe to transition fully from a plasma to a gas. This is close to the age of our universe at the time this transition began.

In practical terms, this causes the smaller scales on the CMB to become blurred, which is why the CMB power spectrum gets smaller and smaller at high multipoles.

Chalnoth said:
The surface of last scattering is quite thick in time. If I recall correctly, it took around 300,000 years for our universe to transition fully from a plasma to a gas. This is close to the age of our universe at the time this transition began.

In practical terms, this causes the smaller scales on the CMB to become blurred, which is why the CMB power spectrum gets smaller and smaller at high multipoles.

Wiki is a little vague. From wiki, Chronology of the universe, Recombination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Recombination

... As the universe cools down, the electrons get captured by the ions, forming electrically neutral atoms. This process is relatively fast (actually faster for the helium than for the hydrogen) and is known as recombination. ...

From reading about how B-modes were produced I thought I had an idea about what was going on from the following picture, see also below.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn25235/dn25235-1_1200.jpg

from,

http://www.newscientist.com/article...ipples-from-universes-birth.html#.UyjaU6hdWSp

If we had gravitational radiation effecting hydrogen as it recombined it seemed that for every atom that got the polarization enhanced one way there would be another atom with polarization the other way if the gravitational wave were "waving". It seems like the effect that produced B-modes should all get averaged to zero unless the period of the gravitational wave was longer or comparable to the time for most of the plasma to neutralize?

I hope my confusion is clear? Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• inflation.jpg
    inflation.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 421
Spinnor said:
Wiki is a little vague. From wiki, Chronology of the universe, Recombination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Recombination

... As the universe cools down, the electrons get captured by the ions, forming electrically neutral atoms. This process is relatively fast (actually faster for the helium than for the hydrogen) and is known as recombination. ...

From reading about how B-modes were produced I thought I had an idea about what was going on from the following picture, see also below.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn25235/dn25235-1_1200.jpg

from,

http://www.newscientist.com/article...ipples-from-universes-birth.html#.UyjaU6hdWSp

If we had gravitational radiation effecting hydrogen as it recombined it seemed that for every atom that got the polarization enhanced one way there would be another atom with polarization the other way if the gravitational wave were "waving". It seems like the effect that produced B-modes should all get averaged to zero unless the period of the gravitational wave was longer or comparable to the time for most of the plasma to neutralize?

I hope my confusion is clear? Thank you for your help!
The B-mode polarization signal peaks at about 2 degrees across the sky. At the time, this was a distance of about 1.5 million light years. So yes, the oscillation period was clearly greater than the time that it took for the plasma to neutralize.

Related to Last scatter by e-, light looks hotter, cooler, time, wavelength.

1. What is last scatter by e-?

Last scatter by e- refers to the last scattering event of electrons in the early universe, which is responsible for the cosmic microwave background radiation we observe today.

2. How does light look hotter in last scatter by e-?

In last scatter by e-, the high-energy electrons scatter the photons of light, making the light appear hotter due to the increase in energy of the photons.

3. Why does light look cooler in last scatter by e-?

As the universe expands, the photons of light lose energy and get stretched, causing them to appear cooler in last scatter by e-.

4. How does time play a role in last scatter by e-?

The last scattering event occurred approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang, and it marks a crucial moment in the evolution of the universe.

5. What is the significance of wavelength in last scatter by e-?

The wavelength of the cosmic microwave background radiation observed in last scatter by e- provides valuable information about the age and composition of the universe.