Latex inputs here in the forum

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Lambda96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Latex
In summary, the person is having trouble with their latex inputs only being indicated by four dollar signs instead of two. They are unsure how to fix the issue and have been advised to use ## for in-line math and $$ for displayed math. They have also been told to hit the "reload" icon if the math does not display properly.
Lambda96
I have unfortunately a problem, if I make my inputs only with two dollar signs, that these are not indicated, but only with 4 dollar signs.

Unfortunately, I cannot make my latex inputs in the text in such a way, like e.g.

The formula is as follows $f(x)=x^2$, form the derivative of this formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Not clear to me what is going wrong... the delimiters for in-line math are ## and for displayed math $$

So you type "The formula is as follows
$$f(x)=x^2$$ and ... " and you get: $$f(x)=x^2$$ and ...

And if you type "The formula is as follows #
#f(x)=x^2## and ... " you get: ##f(x)=x^2## and ...

##\ ##

• Informative
Likes Lambda96 and mcastillo356
And if it doesn't display hit the "reload" this page icon..

Likes Lambda96
Thanks BvU and hutchphd for your help 👍, I just tried it in preview mode, with # it works now like it wanted to 😀

Likes BvU and hutchphd

1. What is Latex and why is it used in scientific forums?

Latex is a typesetting language commonly used in the scientific community for writing and formatting documents, especially those with mathematical equations and symbols. It allows for precise and professional-looking documents that are easy to share and collaborate on.

2. How do I use Latex in the forum?

To use Latex in the forum, you can simply enclose your Latex code within dollar signs ($$) or backslashes (\) to indicate that it is a mathematical expression. You can also use the provided Latex toolbar or use HTML tags to format your equations.

3. Can I use Latex for non-mathematical content?

Yes, Latex can be used for formatting various types of content, such as tables, figures, and text. However, it is most commonly used for mathematical expressions and equations.

4. Can I include images in my Latex inputs on the forum?

Yes, you can include images in your Latex inputs by using the \includegraphics command and providing the file name and location of the image. You can also use HTML image tags to insert images into your Latex code.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Latex?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Latex, including tutorials, forums, and documentation. Some popular resources include Overleaf, LaTeX Project, and TeX Stack Exchange.