LaTeX: Links in Table of Contents

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to have links in the table of contents that lead to specific sections, as well as creating a bookmark list visible in Acrobat Reader. The addition of the hyperref package in the preamble is suggested as a solution to this.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello all LaTeX fans

I want in my table of contents to have links to the sections which is included there, see this for instance:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.0777v1.pdf

(and also the entire row, not just the page number)

Secondly, I want to create that bookmark list which is visible to the left in e.g. Acrobat Reader.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking through my style files and don't notice anything special to enable them. I'm currently using LEd with tex->ps then ps2pdf and I get them. So unless its one of these packages, it kind of just does it for me

Code:
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epsfig}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsthm}
\usepackage{booktabs}
\usepackage{stmaryrd}
\usepackage{url}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage[figuresright]{rotating}
\usepackage{mathrsfs}

malawi_glenn said:
Hello all LaTeX fans

I want in my table of contents to have links to the sections which is included there, see this for instance:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.0777v1.pdf

(and also the entire row, not just the page number)
Secondly, I want to create that bookmark list which is visible to the left in e.g. Acrobat Reader.

Thank you in advance

just add hyperref package in preamble and it does all that...

\usepackage{hyperref}

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, cool! I'll check it out. Thanx mates

Related to LaTeX: Links in Table of Contents

1. How do I add a link to a specific section in my table of contents?

In order to add a link to a specific section in your table of contents, you will need to use the \hyperref command. This command allows you to create a clickable link to a specific section in your document. Simply place the \hyperref command before the section title in your table of contents and provide the section label as the argument.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the links in my table of contents?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the links in your table of contents by using the \hypersetup command. This command allows you to change the color, style, and other properties of the links. You can also use packages like hyperref or tocloft to further customize the appearance of your table of contents.

3. Can I add external links to my table of contents?

Yes, you can add external links to your table of contents by using the \href command. This command allows you to create a clickable link to a webpage or file outside of your document. Simply provide the URL or file path as the first argument and the link title as the second argument.

4. How can I add a link to my table of contents without changing the section title?

If you want to add a link to your table of contents without changing the section title, you can use the \addcontentsline command. This command allows you to add a line to your table of contents manually. Simply provide the section level, section title, and page number as arguments.

5. Can I have multiple links for the same section in my table of contents?

Yes, you can have multiple links for the same section in your table of contents by using the \phantomsection command. This command creates an invisible anchor point that you can use for creating additional links to a specific section. You can also use the \hypertarget and \hyperlink commands to create multiple links to the same section.