Leakage Conductance of Cylindrical Coax Cable

In summary: The unit conductance is still very low.In summary, the leakage conductance per meter of a cylindrical coax cable with an inner conductor (r1) of 0.125" (3.175*10^-3 m) and an outer conductor (r2) of 0.5" (1.27*10^-2 m) filled with a material with a relative permittivity of 2 and a conductivity of 6*10^-8 mho/m is approximately 3.667 M\Omega. This can be found by using the formula R = ln(r2/r1) / (l2pi*sigma_c), where R is the resistance and l is the length of the cable. The inverse of this
polarmystery

Homework Statement

Find the leakage conductance per meter of a cylindrical coax cable whose inner conductor (r1) is 0.125" (3.175*10^-3 m) and whose outer conductor (r2) = 0.5" (1.27*10^-2 m) if the space between them is filled with a material whose: [tex]\varepsilon_r = 2[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_c = 6*10^{-8} \mho /m.[/tex]

Homework Equations

I used this formula for calculating the resistance of the coax wire:

[tex] R = \dfrac{ln (\dfrac{r2}{r1})}{l2\pi\sigma_c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After solving for R, I get

[tex] R = \dfrac{ln (\dfrac{1.27*10^{-2}}{3.175*10^{-3}})}{(1)2\pi(6*10^{-8})} = 3.667 M\Omega[/tex]

My question is, do I just invert R in order to get the line leakage conductance? It seems like I should be using the relative permittivity somewhere in the calculation, but not sure where. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment on the formula, not without looking it up. :smile: But I'll assume you used it correctly. Yes, its reciprocal gives conductance.

Permittivity is a property concerned with capacitance, etc., whereas resistance (i.e., conductance-1 ) does not involve capacitance. They are independent properties of a dielectric, or of any material.

Last edited:
Something seems to be amiss here. I was thinking about it and I remember that typical coax cable resistance is somewhere like 50 ohms. I got this formula from our slides in class. It doesn't make sense that the answer is so high so I think there is something wrong, but honestly I don't know. Any help/suggestions? I think I might have missed something.

I understand that typical coax lines have a characteristic impedance of being 50 ohms, but it still doesn't make sense that the actual wire resistance I calculated is so high. Can someone point me in the right direction? Am I attacking this problem correctly?

Last edited:
The 50 ohms is like the wire resistance, sort of, but at RF. We like it to be predictable so RF loads and sources can be matched to it. The 3.6 Mohms is the insulation resistance; we'd like it to be very high. A few megohms seems low, but this is just an exercise.

Yes, you are correct. In order to find the leakage conductance per meter, you need to invert the resistance value you calculated. This is because conductance is the inverse of resistance. Therefore, the leakage conductance per meter would be 1/3.667 MΩ or 0.272 mΩ.

As for the relative permittivity, it is not needed in this calculation as it is only used to determine the capacitance of the cable, which is not relevant to finding the leakage conductance. However, if you were trying to find the overall conductance of the cable, you would need to incorporate the relative permittivity into the calculation.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Leakage Conductance of Cylindrical Coax Cable

1. What is leakage conductance of cylindrical coax cable?

Leakage conductance refers to the amount of current that leaks out of a cylindrical coax cable. This leakage can occur due to imperfections in the cable's insulation or shielding, and can result in signal loss and interference.

2. How is leakage conductance measured?

Leakage conductance is typically measured in units of siemens (S) or mhos (℧). It can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a conductance bridge, which applies a known voltage across the cable and measures the resulting current.

3. What factors can affect leakage conductance in a coax cable?

There are several factors that can affect the leakage conductance of a coax cable, including the material and thickness of the cable's insulation and shielding, the frequency of the signal being transmitted, and any physical damage or defects in the cable.

4. How does leakage conductance impact the performance of a coax cable?

High leakage conductance can lead to signal loss, distortion, and interference in the transmission of signals through a coax cable. This can result in poor performance and decreased reliability of the cable for applications such as telecommunications and data transmission.

5. How can leakage conductance be minimized?

To minimize leakage conductance in a coax cable, it is important to use high-quality materials and ensure proper installation and maintenance of the cable. This includes using cables with high-quality insulation and shielding, avoiding sharp bends or kinks in the cable, and regularly checking for any damage or defects.