Learn Java Programming | Get Help Here

In summary: I don't remember what they were anymore, but I remember thinking there were a few important ones that were a bit counter intuitive.In summary, Java may not be as popular for standalone applications as it used to be, but it is still in high demand for J2EE positions. C#/.NET skills are also highly requested, and Microsoft is constantly making updates and improvements to their language. There is also a trend of using C# for back end development and WPF clients, as it is more productive than developing in Java or AJAX. Additionally, the compatibility of .NET is increasing with projects like Mono. However, some programmers have found .NET to be bloated and fragile compared to Java.
atmokupe
Can anyone help me with a site where I can learn java programming language?
I really need it, I'd be very grateful

Technology news on Phys.org
..or to go directly to the source:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Good luck. Java may be getting a little out of fashion for standalone applications these days, but I have been using Java for a few years now and will never go back to Fortran or C.

ChrisLeslie said:
Good luck. Java may be getting a little out of fashion for standalone applications these days
Huh? I've heard many of state statement and ends with try Java etc. re. Fortran, C, C++ but saying Java is out of fashion? What do you think is in these days then?

KTC

If you look at current job vacancies you will see that the Java skills in demand these days are dominantly in J2EE, not standalone applications. Despite that, C#/.NET skills are far more requested than Java skills. Same also if you look at bookshops - Java books are actually getting hard to find these days when compared to C#/.NET, mySQL or ASP and even C++ still. In my opinion most of the shift is due to Microsoft's promotion of their products and pressure to suppress Java. This is a pity since Java has develped into such a mature, reliable, high performing and easy to use language. I would not touch C# on principle alone and based on my experience I will promote Java every chance I get for scientific applications at least.

Chris

That's true but i don't think Java was ever a very popular language for standalone apps, and most of those would probably fall under the category of OpenSource or freeware.

I'm actually surprised at how many positions for J2EE there are, when i was looking for a job in C#/ASP.NET i came across more J2EE than anything else.

C# is getting to be a very interesting language, and at least Microsoft is moving ahead with some innovations such as the LINQ project and Lambda expressions which Sun doesn't seem to be interested in, which i understand in part.

I think as Microsoft brings in new languages to .NET (i was surprised to find a variant of Python among these), it is becoming very feasible for Microsoft to adopt little bits and pieces from each language. Some elements kind of run against some Java's OO principles, such as anonymous delegates, which might support less proper coding habits.

Last edited:
-Job- said:
That's true but i don't think Java was ever a very popular language for standalone apps, and most of those would probably fall under the category of OpenSource or freeware.

I'm actually surprised at how many positions for J2EE there are, when i was looking for a job in C#/ASP.NET i came across more J2EE than anything else.

C# is getting to be a very interesting language, and at least Microsoft is moving ahead with some innovations such as the LINQ project and Lambda expressions which Sun doesn't seem to be interested in, which i understand in part.

I think as Microsoft brings in new languages to .NET (i was surprised to find a variant of Python among these), it is becoming very feasible for Microsoft to adopt little bits and pieces from each language. Some elements kind of run against some Java's OO principles, such as anonymous delegates, which might support less proper coding habits.

<disclaimer>I do visualization for ML and other analytical applications for a living. So my comments aren't relevant to applications targeted for browsers</disclaimer>

As someone who has been doing C++ for 18 years, Java for 12, and C# for 2. Here is my assessment of the trends. C++ still has its place, but it has gotten smaller. C++ is used in the commercial world only for performance sensitive pieces of a product where you are worried about what the hardware is doing, (that is high performance I/O, and algorithmic implementations where you are worried about minimizing OS cache hits).

For most business algorithms, Java and C# are plenty fast. On the back end the trend was Java, but there is more C# being used there now. I think we will see more C# on the back end, it is far more productive to program a C# back end, and have a WPF client talk to it via WCF, than it is to develop a comparable Java or AJAX application. The MS stack has gotten quite good with .Net 3.0.

Eclipse is pretty nice, J2EE is OK, but Java has really fallen behind C#. Which is why I am using C# in pretty much all the places I used to use Java. I still use Java when I have to be multi-platform, but there has been less demand for multi-platform software of late.

Anyway, I have to agree with -Job- things are getting interesting in the programming world. It was getting pretty dull there for awhile, but users are starting to demand more than a crappy static HTML page, so programmers can start having some from again.

With http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page" ,.NET's compatibility will go up (sponsored by Novell surprisingly), and in the future will become a real challenger to Java as far as cross-platform compatibility goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO: Sun's tutorials are very bad, I would stay away from them.

I worked a little with .Net I found it very bloated and fragile. I was shocked when I saw that this line of C# returns false;

(myClass is ISomeInterface) returned false, while ISomeInterface.isAssignableFrom(myClass) returned true.

In Java instanceof would have returned true.

And there were a few more stuff like that.

Related to Learn Java Programming | Get Help Here

1. What is Java programming?

Java is a high-level, object-oriented programming language that is used to create applications and software for a variety of platforms, including desktop, mobile, and web-based systems.

2. Why should I learn Java programming?

Java is a widely used language in the tech industry and is known for its platform independence, scalability, and security. Learning Java can open up numerous career opportunities and allow you to develop a wide range of applications.

3. How can I get help with learning Java programming?

You can get help with learning Java programming through online resources such as tutorials, forums, and coding communities. There are also many books and courses available that can guide you through the learning process.

4. What are the basic concepts of Java programming?

The basic concepts of Java programming include variables, data types, control structures, classes, objects, methods, inheritance, and polymorphism. It is important to have a good understanding of these concepts in order to write efficient and effective Java code.

5. How can I practice and improve my Java programming skills?

The best way to practice and improve your Java programming skills is to code regularly and work on projects that challenge you. You can also participate in coding challenges, attend workshops and conferences, and seek feedback from more experienced programmers.