Length and Area of Cylindrical Nichrome Resistor

In summary, to create a cylindrical resistor that draws a current of 0.450 A from a battery with a potential difference of 10.0 V and an internal resistance of 15.0 Ω, using 20.0 mm^3 of nichrome wire with a conductivity of 6.7 × 105 A/(V⋅m), the cylinder length must be 0.0023 m and the cross-sectional area must be 7.27 × 10^-7 m^2.
Robotic-Cow

Homework Statement

You must complete the circuit of (Figure 1) in such a way that it draws a current of 0.450 A from the battery. The battery maintains a potential difference of 10.0 V with no load, but has an internal resistance of Rbatt = 15.0 Ω . The only material you have is 20.0 mm^3 of nichrome, and you must use all of it. your plan is to form the nichrome into a cylindrical resistor. [The conductivity of nichrome is 6.7 × 105 A/(V⋅m).]
upload_2017-3-15_11-9-48.png

Part A
What must the cylinder length be?

Part B

What must the cylinder cross-sectional area be?

Homework Equations

I = V/R
R = L/(A*σ)
A = πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I solved for the resistance the created resistor must have. Since the two resistors would be in series, I solved the equivalent resistance to be R = Rn + Rb. (Rn = Resistance of new resistor that is being solved for, Rb = resistance of battery). To draw the correct amount of current out of the battery, I = V/(Rn+Rb). Solving for Rn, I got Rn = V/I-Rb = 10/0.45 - 15 = 7.22 Ω.

I'm pretty sure I need to use this equation: R = L/(A*σ) to solve for L and A, but since I only know R and σ, I still have two unknown variables to solve for, and only one equation. I'm guessing I need to incorporate the given detail that there is only 20 mm^3 of nichrome wire available, but I am not sure how to do that. Is there another equation I should use to do so, like volume or surface area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to get volume out of L and A?

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Hi Robotic-Cow,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Robotic-Cow said:
First, I solved for the resistance the created resistor must have. Since the two resistors would be in series, I solved the equivalent resistance to be R = Rn + Rb. (Rn = Resistance of new resistor that is being solved for, Rb = resistance of battery). To draw the correct amount of current out of the battery, I = V/(Rn+Rb). Solving for Rn, I got Rn = V/I-Rb = 10/0.45 - 15 = 7.22 Ω.
Looks good so far.
I'm pretty sure I need to use this equation: R = L/(A*σ) to solve for L and A, but since I only know R and σ, I still have two unknown variables to solve for, and only one equation. I'm guessing I need to incorporate the given detail that there is only 20 mm^3 of nichrome wire available, but I am not sure how to do that. Is there another equation I should use to do so, like volume or surface area?
Yup, you're given a volume value so an equation for the volume of the resistor you're creating seems appropriate.

Likes Robotic-Cow
Thanks so much for the help :smile:! I managed to solve both length and cross-sectional area by rearranging the volume equation in terms of radius, and plugging it back into the equation for resistance to solve for length.

Related to Length and Area of Cylindrical Nichrome Resistor

1. What is a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

A cylindrical nichrome resistor is a type of electronic component that is used in circuits to limit the flow of electric current. It is made of a cylindrical piece of nichrome wire wrapped around a ceramic or glass core. The length and area of the wire determine the resistance of the resistor.

2. How is the length of a cylindrical nichrome resistor determined?

The length of a cylindrical nichrome resistor is determined by the length of the nichrome wire used to make it. The wire is typically cut to a specific length and then coiled around the core to create the desired resistance value.

3. What is the relationship between the length and resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

There is a direct relationship between the length and resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor. This means that as the length of the resistor increases, the resistance also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the wire, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

4. How does the cross-sectional area affect the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

The cross-sectional area of the wire used in a cylindrical nichrome resistor also affects the resistance. A larger cross-sectional area means there is more space for the electrons to flow, resulting in a lower resistance. This is because the resistance is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area: R ∝ 1/A.

5. Can the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor can be changed by altering the length or cross-sectional area of the wire. Additionally, the resistivity of the wire can also be changed by using different materials. However, once a resistor is manufactured, its resistance cannot be easily changed without physically altering its construction.