Length change of diagonal in deformable triangle

In summary, The figure in the lecture notes shows the deformations of a triangular element over time. The increase in the diagonal AC is given by a complex equation, which may not be clear to some individuals. The calculation of the distance moved by the vertex C is not simply the square root of the sum of the squares of a+d and b+c, as the vertex may not be moving directly along the original AC line.
Niles
Hi

I have a problem understanding a figure in my lecture notes. The figure is the following one

Y9loP.jpg

It shows the deformation of a triangular element from time [itex]t[/itex] to time [itex]t+dt[/itex]: So at t it is a isosceles triangle and at t+dt it is deformed. According to my lecture notes (page 16, eq. 28), the increase in the diagonal AC is given by

[tex]
\delta(AC) = \frac{a+d}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{b+c}{\sqrt{2}}
[/tex]

It is not clear to me why that is the case. I would just have said it should be
[tex]
\sqrt{(a+d)^2 + (b+c)^2}
[/tex]
but this seems not to be the case. Does anyone see how one arrives at the first expression? I'd be very happy to get some help, I am pretty stuck.Niles.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
It is not clear to me why that is the case. I would just have said it should be
[tex]
\sqrt{(a+d)^2 + (b+c)^2}
[/tex]
but this seems not to be the case.

That's the correct calculation for the distance that the vertex C moves. However, the vertex C is not moving directly along the original AC line, so that's not the amount by which the distance AC changes.

If I am five km to the north of you, and I move one km, will the distance between us change by exactly one km? Only if I move due north or due south.

Related to Length change of diagonal in deformable triangle

1. How does the length of the diagonal change in a deformable triangle?

The length of the diagonal in a deformable triangle can change due to various factors such as applied forces, temperature changes, and material properties. It is important to consider these factors in order to accurately predict the change in length of the diagonal.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the change in length of a diagonal in a deformable triangle?

Yes, there are various formulas that can be used to calculate the change in length of a diagonal in a deformable triangle. These formulas take into account the material properties, applied forces, and other factors that may affect the triangle's deformation.

3. How does the change in length of the diagonal affect the overall shape of the triangle?

The change in length of the diagonal can significantly affect the overall shape of the triangle. It can cause the triangle to deform, twist, or change angles, depending on the direction and magnitude of the change in length.

4. Can the change in length of the diagonal be predicted and controlled?

Yes, through various mathematical models and simulations, the change in length of the diagonal can be predicted and controlled to a certain extent. However, there are always external factors that may affect the accuracy of these predictions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying the length change of diagonals in deformable triangles?

Yes, understanding the length change of diagonals in deformable triangles is crucial in various fields such as structural engineering, material sciences, and biomechanics. It helps in designing and predicting the behavior of structures, materials, and biological systems under different conditions.