Lift Problem involving forces, acceleration and speed

In summary: I got the right answer as 40s.In summary, the lift in a mine shaft takes 1 minute to descend 500m, starting from rest and accelerating uniformly for 12.5 seconds before reaching a constant speed. The mass of the lift is 5 tonnes and it is carrying 12 miners with an average mass of 80kg. The speed-time graph for the lift shows a linear increase in speed for 12.5 seconds, followed by a horizontal line representing the constant speed, and then a linear decrease to rest at 60 seconds. The tension in the cable during the first stage is 53,640 N. The acceleration of the lift during this stage is 0.8m/s^2.
Pho3nix

Homework Statement

A Lift in a mine shaft takes exactly one minute to descend 500m. It starts from rest , accelerates uniformly for 12.5 seconds to a constant speed which it maintains for some time and then decelerates uniformly to stop at the bottom of the shaft.

The mass of the lift is 5 tonnes and on the day in question it is carrying 12 miners whose average mass is 80 kg.
(i) Sketch the speed-time graph of the lift.

During the first stage of the motion the tension in the cable is 53 640 N
(ii) Find the acceleration of the lift during this stage.
(iii) Find the length of time for which the lift is traveling at constant speed and the final deceleration.

Homework Equations

mg-T=ma
Positive down
g=9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Don't know how to get a graph up so i'll just describe it; a linear increase in speed from rest for 12.5s. Then a horizontal line representing a constant speed from some time. After that, a deceleration at an unknown time producing a linear decrease in speed to rest, at 60s.
(ii) (5000+80*12)g - T = (5000+80*12)a
a=0.8m/s^2
(iii) This is the part I can't do. I don't know where to start without any information on the time or distance at the start of deceleration. The answer I get from the back of the book is 40s and 1.33m/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
About the graph -
right.About the second part -good job.

The third part is indeed a little harder.
As I've said, you can find the final speed of segment 1, up until the lift doesn't accelerate.
You can calculate the distance the lift passed in this first segment.
Call "t" the time in which the lift moves with a constant velocity. What is the distance (as a function of t) the lift passes at segment two?
From the data you've given, you know now the distance of segment 3 (as a function of t) and the time of segment 3 (as a function of t). You also know the initial velocity and the final one (0). Use this information and 2 formulas relating the distance, time, acceleration and velocities to get your acceleration and time. These are two variables with two equations.

Good luck!

Ty for your response and hints to part 3. I've worked out part 3 using the speed-time graph (which I guess the question was hinting at) and it's quite simple, which fits in with a small part 3 question in an M1 book.

I used area=half base times height. Solving for the top side gives 40s; the time the lift was traveling at constant speed. The rest can be worked out easily.

EDIT: My bad, its area = 1/2(base+a)*maxv

Last edited:

Related to Lift Problem involving forces, acceleration and speed

1. What is the definition of lift in relation to forces?

Lift is the force that acts on an object in a fluid, such as air, in a direction perpendicular to the fluid flow. In the context of lift problem involving forces, it is the upward force that allows an object to move against gravity.

2. How is lift related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of lift problem involving forces, the upward lift force contributes to the net force and therefore affects the acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of lift?

The magnitude of lift is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, the density of the fluid, and the angle of attack (the angle at which the object meets the fluid flow).

4. How does the speed of an object affect lift?

As the speed of an object increases, the amount of air it must push down (or fluid it must displace) to produce lift decreases. This is because the faster-moving air creates a lower pressure area above the object, resulting in a greater pressure difference between the top and bottom surfaces of the object and therefore a greater lift force.

5. How do forces other than lift affect the motion of an object?

In addition to lift, other forces such as weight, drag, and thrust also play a role in the motion of an object. These forces can either work together or against each other to determine the overall motion of the object. For example, weight and drag may slow down an object while thrust and lift may speed it up.