Lifting a square tile by one of its corners

In summary, the conversation discusses the lifting of a thin square tile from one corner, and explores the resulting coordinates and geometry of the tile. It is determined that the lifted corner will be 0.25 units above the x y plane and that the diagonal line running from the lifted corner to the origin will also be 0.25 units above the plane at their intersection point. This leads to the conclusion that the lifted corner must be 0.5 units above the plane, as a result of the symmetry and equal slopes of the two halves of the diagonal line.
Ocata
Hi,

Suppose there is a very thin square tile set evenly on the floor such that one corner is at the origin, (0,0) of an xy plane. The tile is 1 x 1 units and thus, the corner of the tile opposite of the origin is at (1,1) on the xy plane.

Suppose the corner of the tile at (1,1) is grasped and lifted by some amount such that the corner of the tile at (1,0) is raised by .25 units and the corner of the tile at (0,1) is raised by .25 units as well.

Does this mean that the corner of the tile, (1,1) has been lifted by an amount of .25 + .25 = .5 units?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Have you tried drawing it? Tried any calculations?

Try thinking about the problem in terms of vector displacements of the corners of the tile.

phinds said:
What do you think? Have you tried drawing it? Tried any calculations?

I think it would work. I have tried drawing it, but I'm not 100% confident that I am accurately illustrating the scenario described.

Is there a non calculus calculation, proof, derivation or someway to confirm this if true?

Thank you.

Ocata said:
I think it would work. I have tried drawing it, but I'm not 100% confident that I am accurately illustrating the scenario described.

Is there a non calculus calculation, proof, derivation or someway to confirm this if true?

Thank you.
This does not require any calculus, just simple algebra, and no, your assumption of simple addition does not work. You need to think through the geometry, then apply algebra

Ocata said:

Thank you.
Visualise vector displacements along the edges of the tile and think about what happens to those vectors when the corner of the tile is lifted.
Then think about how you could use those vector displacements to move from (0,0) to the diagonally opposite corner.

May I adjust a part of the original scenario.

In the original post, I mentioned that the tile is 1 x 1 units. But if that were the case, then when I lift the tile by the opposite corner, the coordinate of that corner would no longer be (1,1,z), but some coordinate (less that 1, less than 1, z). I would prefer to study a situation such that upon being lifted at the opposite corner, the new coordinate of the tile is (1,1, z).

So perhaps I should start with a tile larger than 1 x 1.

For instance. Suppose I have a tile 5 x 5 units. Then the corner at (5,5,0) is lifted by some amount such that the tile has coordinates (1,0, .25), (0,1,.25), and (1,1, z). Therefore, what I'm trying to figure out is, what is z?

TonyS said:
Visualise vector displacements along the edges of the tile and think about what happens to those vectors when the corner of the tile is lifted.
Then think about how you could use those vector displacements to move from (0,0) to the diagonally opposite corner.

Okay, I will give it a try.

Ocata said:

In the original post, I mentioned that the tile is 1 x 1 units. But if that were the case, then when I lift the tile by the opposite corner, the coordinate of that corner would no longer be (1,1,z), but some coordinate (less that 1, less than 1, z). I would prefer to study a situation such that upon being lifted at the opposite corner, the new coordinate of the tile is (1,1, z).

For instance. Suppose I have a tile 5 x 5 units. Then the corner at (5,5,0) is lifted by some amount such that the tile has coordinates (1,0, .25), (0,1,.25), and (1,1, z). Therefore, what I'm trying to figure out is, what is z?
[bolding mine] I think you mean not that "the tile has ... " but some point ON the tile has ..." and you have not simplified the problem at all. You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

Ocata said:

If you start out with a tile cornered at the origin in the xy plane then lift the corner that was lying at (5,5,0), the corners that started out at (5,0,0) and (0,5,0) will certainly not have the x and y coordinates that you have assigned in your modification of the problem.
Cut out a square of cardboard and try it for yourself !

Ocata said:
Rather than concentrating on coordinates, you could concentrate on the geometry. In the original version, if the two corners are lifted by 0.25 units each then a line running between them will be horizontal. It will be 0.25 units above the x y plane throughout its length.

A diagonal line running from the corner at the origin to the corner that has been lifted will intersect this horizontal line and will, therefore, be 0.25 units above the x y plane at that point. By symmetry, the two halves of the diagonal line must be of the same length. Because they are part of the same line, they must have the same slope. So the corner that has been lifted must be how far above the plane?

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Lifting a square tile by one of its corners

1. How can you lift a square tile by one of its corners?

The most efficient way to lift a square tile by one of its corners is to use a suction cup or a vacuum lifter. These tools create a strong grip on the tile, allowing it to be lifted easily without damaging the surface.

2. Can a square tile be lifted by hand from one of its corners?

Yes, it is possible to lift a square tile by hand from one of its corners. However, this method may require more effort and may increase the risk of breaking or damaging the tile. It is recommended to use a suction cup or vacuum lifter for a safer and easier lift.

3. Is it possible to lift a square tile by one of its corners without breaking it?

Yes, it is possible to lift a square tile by one of its corners without breaking it. As long as the tile is not too heavy and the lifting method is done carefully, the tile should remain intact. It is important to use proper lifting techniques and tools to avoid any damage.

4. What is the maximum weight that can be lifted by one corner of a square tile?

The maximum weight that can be lifted by one corner of a square tile depends on the size, thickness, and material of the tile. Generally, a single person can lift tiles weighing up to 50 pounds using a suction cup or vacuum lifter. For heavier tiles, it is recommended to use multiple suction cups or seek assistance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when lifting a square tile by one of its corners?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when lifting a square tile by one of its corners. Make sure to wear protective gloves to prevent any injuries from sharp edges or corners. It is also important to have a firm and stable grip on the tile to avoid dropping it. Lastly, always use caution and proper lifting techniques to avoid any accidents.