Linear Algebra Find the Standard Matrix of T

In summary, the question is asking to find the standard matrix of a linear transformation T from R3 to R3, given that T transforms (1,1,0), (1,0,1), and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1), (0,1,3), and (3,4,0) respectively. The approach is to express the standard basis vectors of R3 as a linear combination of (1,1,0), (1,0,1), and (0,1,1) and use that to find the corresponding entries for the standard matrix A.
x.x586

Homework Statement

Let T be a linear transformation from R3 to R3. Suppose T transforms (1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0) respectively.

Find the standard matrix of T and determine whether T is one to one and if T is onto

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi x.x586! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I know T(x) =Ax=[T(e1) ,T(e2,) T(e3)]

I thought A would just be the matrix with columns (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0), but then I realized that
(1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) are not the standard basis vectors for R3My book doesn't give any examples where we don't start with the standard basis vectors

Should I have started by taking a 3x3 matrix entries [x1,x2,x3;x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9] and multiply that by a 3x3 matrix with entries [1,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,1] and set that equal to a matrix with entries [1,0,3;1,1,4;1,3,0] and then got a system of equations from there by multiplying the left side out. And then set up an augmented matrix and used row reduction to find corresponding entries for A?

Last edited:
hi x.x586! :smile:

(i'm not guaranteeing this is the quickest way, but …)

if you can express eg (1,0,0) as a(1,1,0) + b(1,0,1) + c(0,1,1), then you'll have the form you're familiar with :wink:

Thank you.

Related to Linear Algebra Find the Standard Matrix of T

1. What is a standard matrix in linear algebra?

A standard matrix in linear algebra is a matrix that represents a linear transformation from one vector space to another. It is used to simplify calculations and solve systems of linear equations.

2. How do you find the standard matrix of a linear transformation?

The standard matrix of a linear transformation can be found by writing the coordinates of the transformed basis vectors as columns of a matrix. The resulting matrix is the standard matrix.

3. What is the significance of the standard matrix in linear algebra?

The standard matrix is significant because it allows for easier computation of linear transformations and solving systems of equations. It also provides a way to represent and compare different linear transformations.

4. Can a linear transformation have more than one standard matrix?

Yes, a linear transformation can have more than one standard matrix. This is because the choice of basis vectors used to create the standard matrix can vary, resulting in different matrices representing the same transformation.

5. How can the standard matrix be used to solve a system of linear equations?

The standard matrix can be used to solve a system of linear equations by performing row operations on the matrix to put it in reduced row-echelon form. The resulting matrix will represent the solution to the system of equations.