Linear Algebra Question in a Complex Geometry Proof

In summary, Demailly chooses an R-basis for an orthonormal basis with respect to the real part of the hermitian metric. He then applies a unitary transformation to make the basis vectors orthonormal with respect to the full hermitian metric. Finally, he scales the basis vectors to ensure that h(v_i,v_i) = 1 for all i.
cogito²
My brain has ceased functioning while trying to understand a small aspect of the proof of Wirtinger's inequality on page 175 in Demailly's book: (http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~demailly/manuscripts/agbook.pdf).

On the second line of that proof he says to "choose an oriented R-basis such that blah blah blah..." Basically he chooses an R-basis (e_1, e_2, ...) which is orthonormal wrt the real part of the hermitian metric, such that the imaginary part of the metric is non-zero except for in pairs. What I mean is that I am h(e_1, e_2), I am h(e_3,e_4), ... can be non-zero, but all other pairs (for example I am h(e_1,e_3)) are zero.

I'm having trouble seeing how this is done. I mean if I knew that the real submanifold were complex analytic ahead of time I could do it (which is done a little later in the proof), but I'm confused otherwise...this is basically just a linear algebra question so I just figured if someone here just sees this clearly they might save me a lot of head ache.

My explanation of the problem is pretty bad, but I figure since it's just the first couple lines in the proof, it might be easier to let the pdf to the talking...though if any of you guys disagree, I can try to clarify the question...

Physics news on Phys.org
but that would take a while.The way Demailly chooses the R-basis is by first considering an orthonormal basis (e_1, e_2, ...) with respect to the real part of the hermitian metric. Then he shifts the basis vectors e_i so that they are orthonormal with respect to the full hermitian metric. Since the hermitian metric is a symmetric matrix, this can be done by applying a unitary transformation. Specifically, if h(e_i,e_j) is the hermitian metric, then the new basis vectors v_i can be written as: v_i = e_i + ∑_{j≠i} (h(e_i,e_j)/h(e_j,e_j)) e_j This way, for all i≠j, we have h(v_i,v_j) = 0. However, it is possible that some of the diagonal entries h(v_i,v_i) are non-zero. To fix this, we just need to scale the basis vectors so that h(v_i,v_i) = 1 for all i. This is the final R-basis that Demailly uses in his proof.

Related to Linear Algebra Question in a Complex Geometry Proof

1. What is the purpose of using linear algebra in a complex geometry proof?

Linear algebra is a powerful tool that allows us to represent geometric concepts and relationships using algebraic equations. This can help simplify complex geometric problems and make them easier to solve.

2. What are some key concepts in linear algebra that are relevant to complex geometry proofs?

Some key concepts in linear algebra that are often used in complex geometry proofs include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and eigenvalues. These concepts allow us to manipulate and analyze geometric objects and transformations in a precise and rigorous manner.

3. How does linear algebra help in understanding complex geometric shapes and transformations?

Linear algebra provides a mathematical framework for studying geometric objects and transformations. By representing these shapes and transformations using algebraic equations, we can gain a deeper understanding of their properties and relationships.

4. Can linear algebra be used to prove geometric theorems?

Yes, linear algebra can be used to prove geometric theorems by providing a systematic and rigorous approach to solving complex geometric problems. It allows us to break down a complex problem into simpler, more manageable parts and then use algebraic techniques to solve each part.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear algebra in complex geometry proofs?

While linear algebra is a useful tool in solving complex geometry problems, it does have its limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to all types of geometric problems and may not provide a complete understanding of the geometry involved. It is important to use multiple approaches and techniques in order to fully understand and solve complex geometry problems.