Linear Transformations & Dual Space Problem

In summary, the problem is that the assumption that there exists a pair of points such that $\phi(x_1)\neq 0$ and $\psi(x_2)\neq 0$ is not valid, since this would imply that $\phi(x_2)=0$, which is not true.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question and I'll also write down the answer for which I got zero marks. :p I would really appreciate if you can find where I went wrong.

Question: Let \(\phi,\,\psi\in V^{*}\) be two linear functions on a vector space \(V\) such that \(\phi(x)\,\psi(x)=0\) for all \(x\in V\). Prove that either \(\phi=0\mbox{ or }\psi=0\).

Note: \(V^{*}\) is the dual space of \(V\).

My Answer: Note that both \(\phi(x)\) and \(\psi(x)\) are elements of a field (the underlying field of the vector space \(F\)). Since every field is an integral domain it has no zero divisors. Hence, \(\phi(x)\,\psi(x)=0\Rightarrow \phi=0\mbox{ or }\psi=0\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume $\phi(x)\psi(x)=0$ for all $x\in V$, $\phi(x_1)\ne0$ and $\psi(x_2)\ne0$. Show that $\phi(x_2)=0$ and consider $\phi(x_1+x_2)\psi(x_1+x_2)$.

The dual space is not immediately a field. For example, for $V=\mathbb{R}^3$, $V^*$ is also $\mathbb{R}^3$: any $\phi((x_1,x_2,x_3))$ has the form $a_1x_1+a_2x_2+a_3x_3$ for some $a_1,a_2,a_3$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Assume $\phi(x)\psi(x)=0$ for all $x\in V$, $\phi(x_1)\ne0$ and $\psi(x_2)\ne0$. Show that $\phi(x_2)=0$ and consider $\phi(x_1+x_2)\psi(x_1+x_2)$.

The dual space is not immediately a field. For example, for $V=\mathbb{R}^3$, $V^*$ is also $\mathbb{R}^3$: any $\phi((x_1,x_2,x_3))$ has the form $a_1x_1+a_2x_2+a_3x_3$ for some $a_1,a_2,a_3$.

Thanks very much for the reply, but I'm not sure if I am getting you here. I know that the dual space is not a field in general, but the thing is the dual space consist of linear all the transformations from \(V\) to it's underlying field \(F\). That is maps of the form, \(f:\,V\rightarrow F\). So if we take any linear transformation from the dual space, \(V^{*}\equiv L(V,\, F)\), the images of that linear map lie in the field \(F\). Am I correct up to this point? :)

Sudharaka said:
the dual space consist of linear all the transformations from \(V\) to it's underlying field \(F\). That is maps of the form, \(f:\,V\rightarrow F\). So if we take any linear transformation from the dual space, \(V^{*}\equiv L(V,\, F)\), the images of that linear map lie in the field \(F\). Am I correct up to this point?
Yes. This implies, of course, that if $\phi(x)\psi(x)=0$ for some $x$, then either $\phi$ or $\psi$ is 0 on that $x$. Formally,
\[\forall x\,(\phi(x)\psi(x)=0\to\phi(x)=0\lor\psi(x)=0)\]
whereas the question asked to prove
\[(\forall x\,\phi(x)\psi(x)=0)\to(\forall x\,\phi(x)=0)\lor(\forall x\,\psi(x)=0)\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes. This implies, of course, that if $\phi(x)\psi(x)=0$ for some $x$, then either $\phi$ or $\psi$ is 0 on that $x$. Formally,
\[\forall x\,(\phi(x)\psi(x)=0\to\phi(x)=0\lor\psi(x)=0)\]
whereas the question asked to prove
\[(\forall x\,\phi(x)\psi(x)=0)\to(\forall x\,\phi(x)=0)\lor(\forall x\,\psi(x)=0)\]

Thanks again. This clarifies everything. I see the difference now. :) Let me write down the proof along the lines you have indicated in post #2.

Let \(\phi(x)\psi(x)=0\) for all \(x\). Assume that there exist \(x_1\) and \(x_2\) such that \(\phi(x_1)\neq 0\) and \(\psi(x_2)\neq 0\). Then we know that, \(\phi(x_2)\psi(x_2)=0\Rightarrow \phi(x_2)=0\) (since \(\psi(x_2)\neq 0\) and \(F\) is a Field so it can't have zero divisors).

Now consider, \(0=\phi(x_1+x_2)\psi(x_1+x_2)= \phi(x_1)\psi(x_1)+\phi(x_2)\psi(x_2)+ \phi(x_1) \psi(x_2)+ \phi(x_2)\psi(x_1)=\phi(x_1) \psi(x_2)\)

Hence we get, \(\phi(x_1) \psi(x_2)=0\) which implies that \(\phi(x_1)=0\mbox{ or }\psi(x_2)=0\) which is a contradiction. Therefore either \(\psi=0\) or \(\phi =0\)

Now I should be correct. Aren't I? :)

Yes, this is correct.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, this is correct.

Thanks for all the help you provided and guiding me through the problem. :)

Related to Linear Transformations & Dual Space Problem

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output of a linear transformation is always a linear combination of its input.

What is the dual space of a vector space?

The dual space of a vector space V is the set of all linear functionals on V, i.e. all functions that map vectors from V to the field of scalars (usually real or complex numbers). It is denoted by V* and is itself a vector space.

How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix are the images of the basis vectors of the input space. The number of columns is equal to the dimension of the output space. To apply the linear transformation to a vector, simply multiply the vector by the matrix.

What is the kernel of a linear transformation?

The kernel of a linear transformation is the set of all vectors in the input space that are mapped to the zero vector in the output space. It is a subspace of the input space and is also known as the null space.

What is the relationship between a linear transformation and its dual?

A linear transformation and its dual have a one-to-one correspondence. This means that for every linear transformation, there exists a unique dual transformation and vice versa. This duality is important in many areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis and optimization.