LinkedIn, or other online porfolio/resume worth it?

• Thread starter Ascendant78
  • Start date
In summary, LinkedIn is helpful for finding job opportunities and networking with professionals in your field. However, the discussions on the groups can be confusing and not very helpful.
Ascendant78
I have had a LinkedIn profile for years, but have never once used it for employment in my previous field of work. Being an undergrad with a physics major, I am trying to figure out whether or not it is worth hanging onto the profile and keeping it updated, or if LinkedIn is just not something that is used for this industry either? Also, if LinkedIn is not something that would typically be used for physics positions, is there any other type of online resume or portfolio website that is more commonly used, or do you simply provide a .pdf or hard copy of a resume for most positions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got an interview with a good company by using LinkedIn. Employers liked candidates who have a LinkedIn profile.

Like a resume, it is good to keep an active profile on various job search web sites. LinkedIn has the advantage of also offering insight into industry trends and concerns. Like all such forums, the signal to noise ratio can be poor at times, so YMMV.

Ok, well thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just touch up on it from time to time for now, and will contribute more to it once I get closer to finishing my PhD. I figured it would be good to know now though so that I can attempt to connect with professors over these next several years. Not sure how much it will impact my credibility or hire-ability, but figure it certainly won't hurt.

Might as well, its easy enough to do. I haven't yet gotten anything out of my LinkedIn profile, but its there just in case.

To the OP:

I have a profile on LinkedIn and it has proven to be very helpful, both in providing links to open job positions as well as connecting me to various employers and recruiters -- in fact, I was hired in my current position through LinkedIn.

LinkedIn is also useful in connecting you with various like-minded professionals through discussion groups which you can join -- this would give you an opportunity to network with various people who could in turn connect you to positions that may be of interest.

StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

I have a profile on LinkedIn and it has proven to be very helpful, both in providing links to open job positions as well as connecting me to various employers and recruiters -- in fact, I was hired in my current position through LinkedIn.

LinkedIn is also useful in connecting you with various like-minded professionals through discussion groups which you can join -- this would give you an opportunity to network with various people who could in turn connect you to positions that may be of interest.

Thanks for the information. As far as the discussion groups, although I am a part of a few interest groups, I do not like the setup of the discussions on them. I really don't see myself using that as I feel my time could be much more well spent involving myself in other more organized resources.

Related to LinkedIn, or other online porfolio/resume worth it?

What is LinkedIn?

LinkedIn is a professional networking platform that allows individuals to connect with colleagues, industry professionals, and potential employers. It also serves as an online portfolio and resume for users to showcase their skills, experience, and accomplishments.

Is having a LinkedIn profile necessary?

In today's digital age, having a LinkedIn profile is highly recommended for professionals in any field. It allows you to expand your professional network, increase your visibility, and access job opportunities that may not be advertised elsewhere.

How can LinkedIn help my career?

LinkedIn can help your career in several ways. It allows you to showcase your skills, experience, and achievements to potential employers and recruiters. You can also join industry-specific groups, participate in discussions, and learn from thought leaders in your field. It can also help you stay updated on industry trends and job opportunities.

How do I make my LinkedIn profile stand out?

To make your LinkedIn profile stand out, ensure that your profile is complete and up-to-date. Use a professional profile photo and write a compelling headline and summary. Highlight your achievements and skills, and include relevant keywords in your profile. Also, engage with other users by sharing content and participating in discussions.

Are there any downsides to having an online portfolio or resume?

While having an online portfolio or resume can be beneficial, there are some downsides to consider. It can be time-consuming to create and maintain, and you may risk exposing personal information online. Additionally, having a strong online presence may also attract unwanted attention or spam. It's important to carefully consider the potential risks and take necessary precautions.