List of Compact 7 dimensional Einstein manifolds

In summary, Nikonorov's 2004 theorem states that a connected compact semisimple Lie group G acting almost effectively on a seven-dimensional simply-connected homogeneous space M^7=G/H is either a symmetric space or isometric to one of the spaces in families i.1 to i.6. These families contain spaces with a single invariant Einstein metric, spaces with two available metrics, and families with two metrics for each embedding. The G2 holonomy is only present in the squashed S7, an unknown space, and the family i.6. It is claimed that all spaces in family i.5 are diffeomorphic to the product of spheres S^3 x S^2 x S^2.
arivero
Gold Member
The most recent version of the theorem, as stated by Nikonorov in 2004

Let G a connected compact semisimple Lie group, which acts almost effectively on a seven-dimensional simply-connected homogeneous space [itex]M^7=G/H[/itex]. If [itex](G/H,\rho)[/itex] is a homogeneous Einstein manifold, then it is either a symmetric space or isometric to one of the manifolds in i.1 to i.6

These are the spaces having each exactly one Einstein metric, the symmetric one:

s.1 [tex]S^7[/tex] being diffeomorphic to [tex]SO(8)/SO(7)[/tex]

s.2 [tex]S^5 \times S^2[/itex] being diff to [tex]{SO(6)\over SO(5)} \times {SO(3)\over SO(2)}[/tex]

s.3 [tex]S^4 \times S^3[/tex] diff to [tex]{SO(5)\over SO(4)} \times {SU(2)\times SU(2) \over SU(2)}[/tex]

s.4 [tex]{SU(3)\over SO(3)} \times S^2[/tex] diff to [tex]{SU(3)\over SO(3)} \times {SO(3)\over SO(2)}[/tex]

s.5 [tex]S^7[/tex] diff to [tex]Spin(7)/G_2[/tex]

(and note also [tex]SU(4)/SU(3)[/tex], which produces again the standard metric on S^7)

and besides we have: -two spaces with a single invariant Einstein metric:

i.1 [tex]Sp(2)/SU(2)[/tex]

i.2 Stiefel [tex]V_{5,3} \equiv SO(5)/SO(3)[/tex]

-two spaces with two metrics available:

i.3 again [tex]S^7[/tex] now as [tex]Sp(2)\over Sp(1)[/tex]

i.5c [tex]T_1S^3 \times S^2[/tex], an special case (1,1,0) of the family 5.

-two families with one metric for each embedding:

i.4 The biparametric (a,b)=[tex]SU(3)\times SU(2) \over SU(2) \times U(1)[/tex]

i.5a the triparametric (a,b,c)=[tex]SU(2) \times SU(2) \times SU(2) \over SO(2) \times SO(2)[/tex]
which has the subfamily of special cases
i.5b (a,b,0) each with a pure factor space [itex]\times S^2[/itex] and then the special case i.5.c above

-and one family with two metrics for each embedding

i.6 the biparametric (a,b)= [tex]SU(3)\over SO(2)[/tex]

Note I am abusing the notation of the parameters because the table in the theorem does not follow previous notations. This is a tradition in the field, it seems.

Family i.4 is sometime referred as "simply connected Witten spaces". Family i.6 is known to matematicians as Allof-Wallach spaces.

All the three families can be buit as principal [itex]S^1[/itex] fiber bundles:
i.4 over [itex]CP^2 \times S^2[/itex]
i.5 over [itex]S^2 \times S^2 \times S^2[/itex]
i.6 over [itex]SU(3)/T^2[/itex]

All the three families produce groups of isometry greater than g by an U(1) factor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compare this theorem with Duff et al table 6 pg 64
s.1 is Round S7
s.2 is M(1,0), Group SU(4)xSU(2)
s.3 similarly listed. Ok.
s.4 has group SU(3)xSU(2)
s.5 is discussed in page 40
i.1 listed perhaps as a SO(5)/SO(3), see pg 42??
i.2 listed as V5,2, group SO(5)xU(1) ?? Or listed without name?
i.3 is discussed in page 40
i,4 with group SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)
i.5 with group SU(2)xSU(2)xSU(2)xU(1)
i.6 with group SU(3)xU(1)
and some special cases listed in the families, basically where U(1) promotes to SU(2)

According the table, only the squashed S7 (i.3? or s.5?), the unknown i.1 and the family i.6 have G2 holonomy.

Last edited:
It is claimed in Nikonorov, without prrof (only reference to a PhD thesis) that all the spaces in i.5 are diffeomorfic to the product of spheres S3 x S2 x S2. I can believe that this result happens because they are asked to be simply connected (so the above referred fibre bundles are asked to have coprime winding numbers)

So the good news is that the only parametric families are the two that can be related to the standard model, in the low and high energy limits.

Related to List of Compact 7 dimensional Einstein manifolds

1. What is a 7-dimensional Einstein manifold?

A 7-dimensional Einstein manifold is a mathematical structure that satisfies the Einstein field equations in 7 dimensions. This means that the curvature of the manifold is determined by the distribution of matter and energy within it, and it is a solution to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds different from other manifolds?

A compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifold is a closed and bounded space with no boundary, meaning it does not extend infinitely in any direction. This is in contrast to non-compact manifolds, which may have infinite boundaries. Compact manifolds also have certain topological properties that make them more manageable for mathematical analysis.

3. What are some real-world applications of studying compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds?

While the study of 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds may seem abstract, it has many practical applications. For example, these manifolds are used in theoretical physics to model the properties of the universe on a large scale. They also have applications in computer science, such as in the development of algorithms for efficient data processing and analysis.

4. How are compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds classified?

Compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds can be classified according to their curvature and other geometric properties. Some of the most well-known classes include Ricci-flat manifolds, where the Ricci curvature is zero, and positively curved manifolds, where the curvature is greater than zero. These classifications help researchers better understand the properties and behavior of these manifolds.

5. What is the significance of the list of compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds?

The list of compact 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds is a catalog of all known solutions to the Einstein field equations in 7 dimensions. It serves as a reference for researchers studying these manifolds and can also aid in the discovery of new solutions or relationships between different manifolds. Additionally, the list helps to further our understanding of the properties and behavior of 7-dimensional Einstein manifolds as a whole.