Lists of Valid Studies Linking Nuclear Radiation to Cancer.

In summary, Angela Merkel the Woman Iron Chancellor of Germany has called for the shutting down of Nuclear Power Plants throughout her country. I am a former Nuclear Reactor Plant Operator and for years I was a strong proponent of advancing the nuclear power industry. They could do no wrong in my eyes because I was obviously biased. Now that I have had several cancers removed and the doctor has confirmed that I have several more tumors in my body, I want to know the truth that the other side (the anti nuclear industry) have been yelling about. There are valid studies that link cancer to nuclear power plants, but the anti nuclear industry is not being honest about where the research is taking us.
Joe Neubarth
Angela Merkel the Woman Iron Chancellor of Germany has called for the shutting down of Nuclear Power Plants throughout her country. I am a former Nuclear Reactor Plant Operator and for years I was a strong proponent of advancing the nuclear power industry. They could do no wrong in my eyes because I was obviously biased. Now that I have had several cancers removed and the doctor has confirmed that I have several more tumors in my body, I want to know the truth that the other side (the anti nuclear industry) have been yelling about.

So, if you know of valid studies that clearly link Cancer to Nuclear Power plants, please post a link. If studies have failed to prove that link, Please list them, too. I want to know where the real scientific research is taking us. I have seen articles that claimed that breast Cancer rates are higher within fifty miles of operating nuclear power plants. Where has that statistically been confirmed? How about prostate cancer?

Basically, are the valid studies out there, and if so why are we not being informed?

Biology news on Phys.org
Joe Neubarth said:
Angela Merkel the Woman Iron Chancellor of Germany has called for the shutting down of Nuclear Power Plants throughout her country. I am a former Nuclear Reactor Plant Operator and for years I was a strong proponent of advancing the nuclear power industry. They could do no wrong in my eyes because I was obviously biased. Now that I have had several cancers removed and the doctor has confirmed that I have several more tumors in my body, I want to know the truth that the other side (the anti nuclear industry) have been yelling about.

So, if you know of valid studies that clearly link Cancer to Nuclear Power plants, please post a link. If studies have failed to prove that link, Please list them, too. I want to know where the real scientific research is taking us. I have seen articles that claimed that breast Cancer rates are higher within fifty miles of operating nuclear power plants. Where has that statistically been confirmed? How about prostate cancer?

Basically, are the valid studies out there, and if so why are we not being informed?

The kind of radiation that can cause cancer is ionizing radiation. Improper disposal of nuclear waste from reactors or accidents can release such radiation. And it is a well established fact that it can lead to cancer as well as things such as mutations and hence even show its effects on the next generation. The references provided in the wikipedia article are very good. Here are some direct links.

http://www.bmj.com/content/331/7508/77.long

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/bio-effects-radiation.html

Last edited by a moderator:
mishrashubham said:
The kind of radiation that can cause cancer is ionizing radiation. Improper disposal of nuclear waste from reactors or accidents can release such radiation. And it is a well established fact that it can lead to cancer as well as things such as mutations and hence even show its effects on the next generation. The references provided in the wikipedia article are very good. Here are some direct links.

http://www.bmj.com/content/331/7508/77.longThis study is for workers inside a nuclear reactor facility.
Conclusions These estimates, from the largest study of nuclear workers ever conducted, are higher than, but statistically compatible with, the risk estimates used for current radiation protection standards. The results suggest that there is a small excess risk of cancer, even at the low doses and dose rates typically received by nuclear workers in this study.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/bio-effects-radiation.html
And this study also found insignificant levels in the surround areas.
A 1991 study by the National Cancer Institute, “Cancer in Populations Living Near Nuclear Facilities,” concluded that there was no increased risk of death from cancer for people living in counties adjacent to U.S. nuclear facilities. At the NRC’s request, the National Academy of Sciences is currently engaged in a state-of-the-art update to the earlier study. The new study will examine cancer rates in communities around operating and decommissioned nuclear power plants, as well as nuclear fuel cycle facilities.

There you go Joe, you can stop posting about this over and over.

Evo said:
There you go Joe, you can stop posting about this over and over.

Has he/she been posting about this on other subforums as well?

mishrashubham said:
Has he/she been posting about this on other subforums as well?
Yes.

The object of this string is to get both sides of the argument posted with links to studies.

I had a vision that for those who are interested (Most are not.) they could come here and see the most up to date studies out there. To all who have contributed so far, thank you. I would hope to see about a hundred more studies listed on this site, especially studies conducted by institutions of higher learning that have no monetary interest in seeing an outcome skewed to the left or the right of the issue.

We do know that most of the nuclear reactor plants around the world have been built in the past 40 years. So, it is NOW about time that we should be receiving viable data from the communities surrounding the nuclear reactor plants.

Joe Neubarth said:
The object of this string is to get both sides of the argument posted with links to studies.

I had a vision that for those who are interested (Most are not.) they could come here and see the most up to date studies out there. To all who have contributed so far, thank you. I would hope to see about a hundred more studies listed on this site, especially studies conducted by institutions of higher learning that have no monetary interest in seeing an outcome skewed to the left or the right of the issue.

We do know that most of the nuclear reactor plants around the world have been built in the past 40 years. So, it is NOW about time that we should be receiving viable data from the communities surrounding the nuclear reactor plants.

Why not go and make this list yourself? Go to http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/" (the peer-reviewed literature database) and trawl through all the papers you can find on the subject to your heart's content.

ryan_m_b said:
Why not go and make this list yourself? Go to http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/" (the peer-reviewed literature database) and trawl through all the papers you can find on the subject to your heart's content.
That is for me a useless site.

"NOTICE: Your IP address has not been recognized. Any further attempt to access this site will result in criminal prosecution. You have been warned."

Joe Neubarth said:
That is for me a useless site.

"NOTICE: Your IP address has not been recognized. Any further attempt to access this site will result in criminal prosecution. You have been warned."

In that case I would suggest http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/" , it's more focused on medical and life science but you could still find the abstracts of many articles.

Joe Neubarth said:

I understand your concerns. It must be frightening for you since you have had cancer. Let's see if I can help relieve some of your concerns. The internationally peer-review journal NATURE published an article on May 6, 2011 entitled "Nuclear power plants cleared of leukaemia - Investigation of cancer clusters should turn to non-radiation causes, say British researchers." http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110506/full/news.2011.275.html

Also, in 2011 the Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE) produced by the Health Protection Agency for the Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment has more valuable information. http://www.comare.org.uk/press_releases/documents/COMARE14report.pdf

Hope all goes well with you. Take care.

ryan_m_b said:
In that case I would suggest http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/" , it's more focused on medical and life science but you could still find the abstracts of many articles.

google scholar is also quite handy: http://scholar.google.com/schhp?hl=en&as_sdt=0,1

Joe Neubarth said:

Man, that's a nasty story to have to tell. Genuinely sorry for you.
I hope you can get some solid information.

Related to Lists of Valid Studies Linking Nuclear Radiation to Cancer.

1. What is the current evidence linking nuclear radiation to cancer?

The current evidence suggests that exposure to high levels of nuclear radiation can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer, including leukemia, thyroid cancer, and breast cancer. However, the exact level of risk and the specific types of cancer that may be affected can vary depending on factors such as the type of radiation, the dose received, and the individual's overall health.

2. How many studies have been conducted on the link between nuclear radiation and cancer?

There have been numerous studies conducted on the link between nuclear radiation and cancer. While it is difficult to determine an exact number, a review of the literature shows that there are hundreds of valid studies that have explored this topic.

3. What are some of the key findings from these studies?

Some key findings from these studies include the increased risk of developing cancer after exposure to high levels of nuclear radiation, the potential for different types of cancer to be affected, and the importance of dose and duration of exposure in determining the level of risk. Additionally, some studies have also found that certain populations, such as children and pregnant women, may be more susceptible to the effects of nuclear radiation on cancer development.

4. Are there any limitations to these studies?

While the studies linking nuclear radiation to cancer provide valuable information, there are some limitations. These can include difficulties in accurately measuring radiation doses and potential confounding factors, such as lifestyle habits or exposure to other carcinogens, that may also contribute to cancer development. Additionally, the long-term effects of low levels of nuclear radiation exposure are still not fully understood.

5. What further research is needed in this area?

While there has been significant research on the link between nuclear radiation and cancer, there is still much to be explored. Further research is needed to better understand the long-term effects of low levels of exposure, the potential differences in risk based on age and other factors, and the effectiveness of different types of protection measures. Additionally, more studies are needed to examine the potential interactions between nuclear radiation and other factors that may contribute to cancer development.