Log2 of 41/2 = 1: Simplifying Logarithms in Simple Steps

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the log form equation 2= 41/2 and how it can be simplified to log4(2)= 1/2. The conversation also mentions the equivalence of loga(x)= y to ay= x and how taking the logarithm with different bases can result in different values.
lionely
Write in log form

2= 41/2I wrote this log2 41/2 = 1?

But looking at what I wrote doesn't make sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why it doesn't make sense to you? :confused:

oh wow I'm sorry I just noticed it...
2^1= does equal 4^1/2 = 2 ... I was confused because in the back of the book I saw log4 2= 1/2

lionely said:
oh wow I'm sorry I just noticed it...
2^1= does equal 4^1/2 = 2 ... I was confused because in the back of the book I saw log4 2= 1/2
Yes that's also true. loga(x)= y is equivalent to ay= x. Taking the logarithm, base 4, of both sides of 2= 41/2 gives log4(2)= log4(41/2)= 1/2. But taking the logarithm, base 2, gives log2(2)= 1= log2(41/2)= log2((22)1/2)= log2(21)= 1.

Related to Log2 of 41/2 = 1: Simplifying Logarithms in Simple Steps

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the power to which a fixed number (called the base) must be raised to produce a given value.

2. How do I simplify logarithms?

To simplify logarithms, you must use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. This may include using the product, quotient, or power rule, as well as the fact that the logarithm of 1 is always 0.

3. What is the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a certain power in order to produce a given value. For example, in the expression log28, 2 is the base and 8 is the value.

4. What is the relationship between logarithms and exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse functions of each other. This means that they "undo" each other, and can be used to solve equations involving exponential functions.

5. Why do we use logarithms?

Logarithms are useful for solving exponential equations and for expressing very large or very small numbers in a more manageable form. They are also commonly used in areas such as finance, physics, and chemistry.