Logistic Regression Interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the predicted probability in a logistic regression model can be considered a likelihood function. The conclusion is that it is not a likelihood function, as it does not include all the data needed to calculate the likelihood.
Ma Xie Er
I was trying to find an easy interpretation of the predicted probabilities of a logistic regression model, when one of my coworkers claimed that the logistic regression model is a likelihood.

Now, I know that maximum likelihood estimation is used to estimate the parameters, but I didn't think of the model as a likelihood.

The model is E(Y|X)_hat = exp(XBeta_hat)/(1+exp(XBeta_hat)).

Is the above function a likelihood function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ma Xie Er said:
I was trying to find an easy interpretation of the predicted probabilities of a logistic regression model, when one of my coworkers claimed that the logistic regression model is a likelihood.

Now, I know that maximum likelihood estimation is used to estimate the parameters, but I didn't think of the model as a likelihood.

The model is E(Y|X)_hat = exp(XBeta_hat)/(1+exp(XBeta_hat)).

Is the above function a likelihood function?

I'm going to answer my own question. No, the predicted probability is not a likelihood.

The likelihood is the probability density function, as a function of the data. That is L(p|y) = f(y|p), for a fixed y. The likelihood is telling you how likely p is for a specific value of p, given the data y.

Since the predicted probability does not include all the data (it doesn't include y), you cannot conclude it is a likelihood.

Last edited:

Related to Logistic Regression Interpretation

What is logistic regression interpretation?

Logistic regression interpretation is the process of understanding and explaining the relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variable in a logistic regression model. It involves interpreting the coefficients, odds ratio, and predicted probabilities to make meaningful conclusions about the data.

What is the difference between odds ratio and probability in logistic regression?

Odds ratio is the ratio of the odds of an event occurring in one group to the odds of it occurring in another group. It is used to measure the strength of the relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variable. On the other hand, probability in logistic regression is the likelihood of an event occurring. It is used to predict the probability of a binary outcome based on the values of the independent variables.

How do I interpret the coefficients in logistic regression?

The coefficients in logistic regression represent the change in the log odds of the dependent variable for a one-unit increase in the corresponding independent variable. A positive coefficient indicates a positive relationship between the independent variable and the dependent variable, while a negative coefficient indicates a negative relationship. The magnitude of the coefficient indicates the strength of the relationship.

What is the significance of p-value in logistic regression?

The p-value in logistic regression is used to determine the statistical significance of the relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variable. It indicates the probability of observing the relationship by chance. A p-value less than 0.05 is considered statistically significant, which means that the relationship is unlikely to have occurred by chance and is likely a true relationship.

How do I evaluate the performance of a logistic regression model?

The performance of a logistic regression model can be evaluated using metrics such as accuracy, precision, recall, and F1 score. These metrics measure how well the model predicts the outcome compared to the actual values. Additionally, the area under the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve can also be used to evaluate the model's performance, with a higher AUC indicating a better-performing model.