Looking at the universe through matlab?

In summary, the person is a 3rd year physics student struggling to plot galaxies on a chart. They have the coordinates and colors of each galaxy, but are having trouble creating a visual representation. They are looking for guidance on using Matplotlib or Seaborn to plot the data.
gurps409
Im currently a 3rd year physics student and in struggling a little on trying to plot galaxies on a chart. the simple plot funtion will just give you dots or circles. I am trying to get it to look like a picture of the sky at night.

the information i have is the coordinates of each galaxy and the colour that galaxy.

the only thing i can think of is using meshgrid and the trying to relate the "heat" to the colours but i keep getting errors.

can anyone point me to the right direction...

Thanks

Gurps :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gurps,

Have you tried looking into Matplotlib or Seaborn? These libraries can help you create the plots you need and allow you to customize them with colors. You may need to convert your coordinates into a format that is readable by these libraries. This website (https://matplotlib.org/tutorials/introductory/usage.html#sphx-glr-tutorials-introductory-usage-py) provides an example of how to plot data on a chart. Hopefully this helps get you started in the right direction! Best of luck!

Related to Looking at the universe through matlab?

1. What is Matlab and how is it used to study the universe?

Matlab is a programming language and software environment used for data analysis, visualization, and mathematical computations. It is commonly used by scientists to analyze large datasets and create simulations of astronomical phenomena.

2. Can Matlab be used to study all aspects of the universe?

Matlab can be used to study a wide range of phenomena in the universe, such as the motion of celestial bodies, the properties of different types of matter, and the behavior of light. However, it is not suitable for studying topics such as dark matter or dark energy, which require specialized software and algorithms.

3. What types of data can be analyzed using Matlab to study the universe?

Matlab can analyze a variety of data types, such as numerical data, images, and spectra. It can also handle large datasets from telescopes and space missions, making it a powerful tool for studying the universe.

4. How does Matlab help scientists visualize the universe?

Matlab has powerful visualization tools that allow scientists to create 2D and 3D plots, maps, and animations of astronomical data. These visualizations can help researchers better understand complex data and communicate their findings to others.

5. Is Matlab the only software used for studying the universe?

No, there are many other software programs and tools used by scientists to study the universe, such as Python, IDL, and specialized software for specific research areas. However, Matlab is a popular choice due to its versatility and user-friendly interface.