Looking for References on Single Phase Generators

shyandintroverted
TL;DR Summary
I am looking for a textbook or reference book that discusses single phase generators. All I can find are books that discuss three phase generators. Any suggestions?
I am looking for a textbook or reference book that discusses single phase generators. All I can find are books that discuss three phase generators. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for your response. I actually have this already. I really would like a textbook. Something like Chapman's Electric Machinery Fundamental's or Fitzgerald, Kingsley, and Umans Electric Machinery. I know/understand that three phase machines are "easier" because of the rotating magnetic field and that "large" ac generators are three phase. But aren't most portable or small ac generators single phase? I would think there has to be a textbook or manual or reference book that discusses single phase generators (torque and power equations, how to make the rotor rotate since there is no rotating magnetic from the three phase windings) for this reason. Am I missing something?

shyandintroverted said:
how to make the rotor rotate since there is no rotating magnetic from the three phase windings) for this reason.
Am I missing something?
Short answer: Yes.

Slightly Longer version:
The rotation of a generator rotor is caused by an external mechanical force, not a rotating magnetic field. On the other hand, the rotation of the rotor in a motor is caused by the magnetic field.

To help your understanding, you might start with an Internet search for Permanent Magnet motors and generators, then extend the search to find the differences between AC and DC devices.

Cheers,
Tom