Lost Materials Engineer seeks Job

In summary, the conversation discusses the career prospects and daily work of a materials engineer. The speaker is currently in their final year of a Materials Science and Engineering BSc and is unsure of what type of work they will be doing after graduation. They are seeking advice from other materials engineers about the types of jobs they can expect and where to start their job search. The speaker also mentions their experience with Moldflow and doing Automotive Engineering Modules. Another participant in the conversation shares their experience working as a materials engineer in the industry and mentions the diverse opportunities for materials engineers. They also give examples of their previous job duties, including root cause analysis, process design, and quality assurance, and the use of various testing methods.
berty_g
Hi,
I'm currently in my final year doing an Materials Science and Eng. BSc at IPTME (Loughborough University, UK). Although I've been approched by some companies, I'm not entirely sure what line of work I'd be doing. If there are any materials engineers out there I'd be interested to know what sort of work you do on a daily basis. Without saying the obvious, 'Research' what sorts of jobs am I variable for?

I've been working a lot with Moldflow(MPA) for my finals, investigating the accuracy of CAD + Analytical software for injection moulding...oh, and I do Automotive Engineering Modules as an option.

Any ideas or where to start would be much appreciated as I'm pretty lost at the mo.

Bert

Physics news on Phys.org
berty_g,

I've worked for 3-years as a materials engineer in industry before going back the graduate school for my PhD. I can tell you that materials engineering is a very marketable degree. Generally, materials engineers have the ability to work in more diverse fields than any other profession. That being said it's a tough economy out there and I haven't been in the job market since '07. The work you do depends on the type of company you work for. If you work for a big aerospace company such as GE, your job might be very narrow. However, if you work for a smaller company you'll have more duties. For example, in my last job before going back to graduate school I worked for an investment casting company. I had many duties such as root cause analysis, process design, and quality assurance. I was using optical microscopy, electron microscopy, hardness, and tensile testing routinely.

modey3

Hello Bert,

First of all, congratulations on your final year in your Materials Science and Engineering program. It's great that you have been approached by some companies, but I understand your confusion about the potential job opportunities in this field.

As a materials scientist, your daily work will involve researching, analyzing, and testing various materials to understand their properties and behavior. This can include working with metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. Your experience with Moldflow(MPA) for injection molding is valuable and can lead to job opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer goods.

Some specific job titles to consider in the field of materials engineering include materials engineer, materials scientist, research and development engineer, quality control engineer, and process engineer. These roles can involve designing and developing new materials, improving existing materials, and ensuring the quality and reliability of materials used in various applications.

In addition to your technical skills, your experience with automotive engineering modules can also open up opportunities in the automotive industry, where materials engineering plays a crucial role in developing lightweight and durable materials for vehicles.

I would suggest starting your job search by researching companies in industries that interest you and reaching out to their human resources departments to inquire about any open positions in materials engineering. You can also network with professionals in the field and attend career fairs to learn more about potential job opportunities.

Best of luck in your job search! Materials engineering is a fascinating and constantly evolving field, and I'm sure you will find a rewarding career path.

Related to Lost Materials Engineer seeks Job

1. What qualifications do I need to become a materials engineer?

To become a materials engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in materials science or a related field such as mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or physics. Some employers may also require a master's degree or relevant work experience.

2. What skills are important for a materials engineer?

As a materials engineer, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You should also have a good understanding of math and science, as well as excellent communication and teamwork skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and materials testing techniques is beneficial.

3. What industries hire materials engineers?

Materials engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and healthcare. They are also in demand in research and development, quality control, and production roles.

4. What job responsibilities does a materials engineer have?

The specific job responsibilities of a materials engineer may vary depending on the industry and employer, but generally they involve designing, testing, and improving materials for specific applications. This may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and creating reports to document findings. Materials engineers may also work with other professionals, such as scientists, technicians, and manufacturers, to develop and implement new materials or improve existing ones.

5. What is the job outlook for materials engineers?

The job outlook for materials engineers is positive, with an expected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As industries continue to develop and improve materials for various uses, the demand for materials engineers is expected to remain steady. Additionally, advancements in technology and materials science may create new job opportunities for materials engineers in emerging industries.