Lower Central Series - Understanding the Induction Process

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the textbook says that if a group has a lower central series, then every element of the series is less than every other element of the series. Furthermore, Lemma 5.30i) shows that if a group has a lower central series, then the series is invariant under the homomorphism f.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
Let ##G## be a group. We define the lower central series of ##G## as
$$G = \gamma_1 \ge \gamma_2 \ge \gamma_3 \ge\dots$$

where ##\gamma_1 = G## and ##\gamma_{i+1} = [\gamma_i, G]##. ##\textbf{My question is:}## Why is ##\gamma_{i+1} \rhd \gamma_i## for all ##i##?
Relevant Equations
---------------------------
Let ##G, H## be groups. We define ##[G,H] = \langle \lbrace xyx^{-1}y^{-1} : x \in G, y \in H \rbrace \rangle##.

Lemma 5.30.: i) If ##K \lhd G## and ##K \le H \le G## then ##[H, G] \le K## if and only if ##H/K \le Z(G/K)##.
ii) If ##H, K \le G## and ##f : G \rightarrow L## is a homomorphism, then ##f([H,K]) = [f(H), f(K)]##.
-------------------------
My attempt: If ##i = 1##, then ##\gamma_1 = G \rhd G' = \gamma_2##. We proceed by induction on ##i##. Consider an element ##xyx^{-1}y^{-1}## where ##x \in \gamma_i## and ##y \in G##. Since ##\gamma_i \rhd G##, we have ##yx^{-1}y^{-1} = x_0 \in \gamma_i##. So, ##xyx^{-1}y^{-1} = xx_0 \in \gamma_i \le G##. It follows that ##\gamma_{i+1} = [\gamma_i, G] \le \gamma_i \le G##.

Can I have a hint how to proceed to show ##\gamma_{i+1} \lhd G##, please?

Edit: The textbook says 'It is easy to check ##\gamma_{i+1}(G) \le \gamma_i(G)##. Moreover, Lemma 5.30i) shows that ##[\gamma_i(G), G] = \gamma_{i+1}(G)## gives ##\gamma_i(G) / \gamma_{i+1}(G) \le Z(G/\gamma_{y+1}(G))##'. I think I've been able to show ##\gamma_{i+1}(G) \le \gamma(G)##. But I think I need to show ##\gamma_i \lhd G## for all ##i## before I can get the second line of the textbook.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:
Homework Statement:: Let ##G## be a group. We define the lower central series of ##G## as
$$G = \gamma_1 \ge \gamma_2 \ge \gamma_3 \ge\dots$$

where ##\gamma_1 = G## and ##\gamma_{i+1} = [\gamma_i, G]##. ##\textbf{My question is:}## Why is ##\gamma_{i+1} \rhd \gamma_i## for all ##i##?
It isn't. ##\gamma_{i+1}\lhd \gamma_i##
Relevant Equations:: ---------------------------
Let ##G, H## be groups. We define ##[G,H] = \langle \lbrace xyx^{-1}y^{-1} : x \in G, y \in H \rbrace \rangle##.

Lemma 5.30.: i) If ##K \lhd G## and ##K \le H \le G## then ##[H, G] \le K## if and only if ##H/K \le Z(G/K)##.
ii) If ##H, K \le G## and ##f : G \rightarrow L## is a homomorphism, then ##f([H,K]) = [f(H), f(K)]##.
-------------------------

My attempt: If ##i = 1##, then ##\gamma_1 = G \rhd G' = \gamma_2##. We proceed by induction on ##i##. Consider an element ##xyx^{-1}y^{-1}## where ##x \in \gamma_i## and ##y \in G##. Since ##\gamma_i \rhd G##, we have ##yx^{-1}y^{-1} = x_0 \in \gamma_i##. So, ##xyx^{-1}y^{-1} = xx_0 \in \gamma_i \le G##. It follows that ##\gamma_{i+1} = [\gamma_i, G] \le \gamma_i \le G##.

Can I have a hint how to proceed to show ##\gamma_{i+1} \lhd G##, please?

Edit: The textbook says 'It is easy to check ##\gamma_{i+1}(G) \le \gamma_i(G)##. Moreover, Lemma 5.30i) shows that ##[\gamma_i(G), G] = \gamma_{i+1}(G)## gives ##\gamma_i(G) / \gamma_{i+1}(G) \le Z(G/\gamma_{y+1}(G))##'. I think I've been able to show ##\gamma_{i+1}(G) \le \gamma(G)##. But I think I need to show ##\gamma_i \lhd G## for all ##i## before I can get the second line of the textbook.
You are thinking far too complicated. It is more or less trivial. E.g.
$$
\underbrace{h\underbrace{gh^{-1}g^{-1}}_{\in \gamma_n\lhd G}}_{\in \gamma_n}\; , \;h\in \gamma_n\, , \,g\in G \Longrightarrow \gamma_{n+1}=[\gamma_n,G]\subseteq \gamma_{n}
$$
and the same for the invariance of the subgroup.

A nice example of a double induction by the way.

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Thanks for the reply!

So we're trying to prove ##(\gamma_{n} \lhd G) \Rightarrow (\gamma_{n+1} \le \gamma_n) \Rightarrow (\gamma_{n+1} \lhd G)##.

For the second implication, we want to show ##\gamma_{n+1} \lhd G##. Let ##g \in G## and ##x \in \gamma_{n+1}##. Then ##gxg^{-1} \in \gamma_n##. ...

Would it be enough to show ##g(xhx^{-1}h^{-1})g^{-1} \in \gamma_{n+1}## for all ##x \in \gamma_n, h, g \in G##? We'd have
$$g(xhx^{-1}h^{-1})g^{-1} = g(xy)g^{-1} = z$$
for some ##y, z \in \gamma_n## but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go.

Sorry but am I on the right track here?

Your notation is a bit confusing. We usually write it as ##G=G^0 \rhd G^1\rhd G^2\rhd \ldots##
$$
gG^{n+1}g^{-1}=g[G^n,G]g^{-1}=[gG^ng^{-1},gGg^{-1}]\subseteq [G^n,G]=G^{n+1}
$$

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Thank you! I think I finally understand.

Related to Lower Central Series - Understanding the Induction Process

1. What is the Lower Central Series?

The Lower Central Series is a sequence of subgroups of a given group that are defined recursively using the commutator operation. Each subgroup in the series is generated by the commutators of the previous subgroups, starting with the group itself as the first subgroup.

2. Why is the Lower Central Series important?

The Lower Central Series is important because it provides a way to understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as group theory, topology, and algebraic geometry.

3. How is the Lower Central Series induced?

The Lower Central Series is induced by the commutator operation, which takes two elements of a group and produces a new element by multiplying them in a specific way. This process is repeated recursively to generate the subgroups in the series.

4. What is the significance of the induction process in the Lower Central Series?

The induction process in the Lower Central Series allows us to understand the structure of a group by breaking it down into smaller, simpler subgroups. This can help us to prove properties and theorems about the group, and also provides a way to construct new groups.

5. Can the Lower Central Series be used to classify groups?

Yes, the Lower Central Series can be used as a tool for classifying groups. By examining the structure of the series and the subgroups it generates, we can determine certain properties of the group, such as its solvability or nilpotency. This can help us to classify groups into different categories and study their properties.