Lyapunov Exponent: Calculate for Linear Map xn+1= rxn

In summary, the Lyapunov exponent for the linear map xn+1= rxn can be calculated using the formula λ = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1} ln|f'(x_i)| \end{bmatrix}. For the specific function f'(x) = r, the Lyapunov exponent simplifies to λ = ln(r). For a periodic orbit with period k, the Lyapunov exponent can be written as λ = \dfrac{1}{k} \sum_{i=0}^{k-1} \ln | f'(z_i
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

Calculate the Lyapunov exponent for the linear map xn+1= rxn.

Homework Equations

λ = Lyapunov Exponent

λ = [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1} ln|f'(x_i)| \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = r.

λ = [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1} ln|r| \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

= [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{ln(r)}{n} \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

This is where I'm a bit lost. Is λ = ∞, or is λ = ln(r)?

In another example, with the tent function [itex] f(x) =\begin{cases}rx, \hspace{4mm} 0 \leq x \leq \dfrac{1}{2} \\ r - rx, \hspace{4mm} \dfrac{1}{2} \leq x \leq 1 \end{cases} [/itex]

λ = ln(r).

Is the Lyapunov exponent for both of these systems the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

mliuzzolino said:
λ = [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1} ln|r| \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

= [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \begin{bmatrix}\dfrac{ln(r)}{n} \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

You haven't properly accounted for the sum here.

fzero said:
You haven't properly accounted for the sum here.

I have no idea how to really go about doing that. Any advice for starting it?

mliuzzolino said:
I have no idea how to really go about doing that. Any advice for starting it?

Since ##\ln |r|## is independent of ##n##, it can be factored out of the sum. What is left over? How many terms appear in the sum?

If it's factored out isn't there nothing remaining?

As of today in class the professor mentioned something about n being the period, and a particular function he gave had period 2, so it was 1/2 times the sum. I'm just completely lost on this and the professor blows through everything at lightning speed as if we've all had the same 30+ years of experience in the topic as he has.

My brain is completely fried at this point.

mliuzzolino said:
If it's factored out isn't there nothing remaining?

You had

mliuzzolino said:

Factoring out the ##\ln|r|##, we can write this as

$$ \lambda = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\ln |r|}{n} \sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1} 1.$$

You're left with computing the sum, which depends on ##n##.

As of today in class the professor mentioned something about n being the period, and a particular function he gave had period 2, so it was 1/2 times the sum. I'm just completely lost on this and the professor blows through everything at lightning speed as if we've all had the same 30+ years of experience in the topic as he has.

My brain is completely fried at this point.

The Lyapunov exponent is defined for any orbit ##\{x_0,\cdots\}##. A periodic orbit is an orbit ##\{z_0,\cdots, z_{k-1}\}## such that ##z_{i+k-1}=z_i## for all ##i\geq 0## (##k-1## looks a bit weird here, but that's because we started counting at 0). This means that the orbit goes from

$$z_0\rightarrow z_1 \rightarrow \cdots \rightarrow z_{k-1} \rightarrow z_0 \rightarrow \cdots,$$

i.e. it is a loop of sorts. This is why we call the orbit periodic and the integer ##k## is the period. If the prof used ##n## for the period, I can see how that can be confusing.

For a periodic orbit, the Lyapunov exponent reduces because of the periodicity. We can write

$$\lambda = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \ln | f'(z_i)|,$$

as you have in the OP. Now let ##n = Nk## and we take ##n\rightarrow \infty## by taking the limit ##N\rightarrow \infty##. The convenience of this is that, because of the periodicity,

$$\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \ln | f'(z_i)| = N \sum_{i=0}^{k-1} \ln | f'(z_i)|.$$

What's happened here is that, for ##n## much, much larger than ##k##, we essentially have an integer number ##N## of repeats of the periodic orbit. The "round-off" error should vanish in the limit that ##n## and ##N## go to infinity.

Going back to the formula for the exponent, we then find that

$$\lambda = \lim_{N\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{Nk} N \sum_{i=0}^{k-1} \ln | f'(z_i)| =\frac{1}{k} \sum_{i=0}^{k-1} \ln | f'(z_i)| .$$

Which is equivalent to the formula you describe, but perhaps written in a less confusing way by using ##k## instead of ##n##.

That drastically cleared things up for me. Thank you!

Related to Lyapunov Exponent: Calculate for Linear Map xn+1= rxn

1. What is a Lyapunov exponent?

A Lyapunov exponent is a numerical value that measures the rate of separation between initially close points in a dynamical system. It is used to determine the stability and predictability of a system.

2. How is a Lyapunov exponent calculated?

For a linear map, the Lyapunov exponent is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the absolute value of the map's derivative at a given point. This calculation is repeated for each point in the system, and the average of all the values is taken to determine the overall Lyapunov exponent.

3. What is a linear map in the context of a Lyapunov exponent?

A linear map is a mathematical function that maps a point in a system to another point in the same system. In the context of a Lyapunov exponent, a linear map is used to model the behavior of a system over time.

4. What does the Lyapunov exponent tell us about a system?

The Lyapunov exponent gives us information about the stability and predictability of a system. A positive Lyapunov exponent indicates that the system is chaotic and difficult to predict, while a negative exponent indicates stability and predictability.

5. How is a Lyapunov exponent used in real-world applications?

The Lyapunov exponent is used in a variety of fields, including physics, biology, and economics, to study and understand complex systems. It can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of chaotic systems, such as weather patterns or stock market fluctuations.