Magnetic flux through the circular cross-sectional area of the solenoid

In summary, The problem is asking to calculate the magnetic flux through the circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid, given its dimensions, number of turns, and current. Using the magnetic field formula for an infinite solenoid, the magnetic field is calculated to be 8.4*10^-2 T, but this is not the final answer. To find the magnetic flux, the magnetic field needs to be integrated over the circular cross-sectional area, which can be represented by the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface.
Kourtney0115

Homework Statement

A solenoid 1.7 cm in diameter and 30 cm in length has 4000 turns and carries a current of 5 A. Calculate the magnetic flux(in Wb) through the circular cross-sectional area of the solenoid. Since this is a very long solenoid, you may use the simplified magnetic field formula for the infinite solenoid.

Homework Equations

B = µ * N * I

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (4 . π . 10^–7) . (4000 / 0.3) . 5 = 8.4 . 10^–2 T

My online homework is telling me this is incorrect. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kourtney0115,

It seems you've already calculated the magnetic field (measured in Teslas). Next step is to find the magnetic flux (measured in Webers).

Im not sure how to convert T into Wb. I tried to look it up on google and the only thing i found was T=Wb/m^2. But i am not given m^2.

Kourtney0115 said:
Im not sure how to convert T into Wb. I tried to look it up on google and the only thing i found was T=Wb/m^2. But i am not given m^2.

Magnetic flux is the magnetic field integrated over some surface (which has an area). For the special case where magnetic field is constant over a given area (surface), the the magnetic flux through that surface is the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface (the "surface" being something which has a surface area).

Hint: The problem statement says, "...through the circular cross-sectional area of the solenoid."

Related to Magnetic flux through the circular cross-sectional area of the solenoid

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid?

The formula for calculating magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid is Φ = μ0NΦI, where Φ is the magnetic flux, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, ΦI is the current passing through the solenoid.

2. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area?

The number of turns in a solenoid has a direct relationship with the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area. As the number of turns increases, the magnetic flux also increases. This is because the magnetic field lines get closer together, resulting in a stronger magnetic field and therefore a higher magnetic flux.

3. Can the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid be negative?

Yes, the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic field lines are directed in the opposite direction of the normal direction of the area. This can happen if the solenoid is placed in a magnetic field with a different direction, or if the current through the solenoid is reversed.

4. How does the current passing through a solenoid affect the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area?

The current passing through a solenoid has a direct relationship with the magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area. As the current increases, the magnetic flux also increases. This is because the magnetic field produced by the current gets stronger, resulting in a higher magnetic flux.

5. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a circular cross-sectional area of a solenoid is Weber (Wb), which is equal to 1 Tesla (T) multiplied by 1 meter squared (m^2). This unit is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field passing through the area.