Magnetic vector potential of infinite straight wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field generated by an infinitely long straight wire carrying a current, and the existence of a vector potential that satisfies a given equation. The magnetic field is represented by a formula involving the wire's direction, intensity, and position, and the vector potential is found to be a specific field in cylindrical coordinates.
DavideGenoa
The magnetic field generated by an infinitely long straight wire represented by the straight line ##\gamma## having direction ##\mathbf{k}## and passing through the point ##\boldsymbol{x}_0##, carrying a current having intensity ##I##, if am not wrong is, for any point ##\boldsymbol{x}\notin \gamma## $$\boldsymbol{B}(\boldsymbol{x})=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi}\frac{ \mathbf{k}\times (\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{x}_0) }{\| \mathbf{k}\times (\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{x}_0) \|^2}.$$
I wondered whether the vector potential ##\boldsymbol{A}## such that ##\nabla\times \boldsymbol{A}=\boldsymbol{B}## exists and what function it is...
I ##\infty##-ly thank you for any answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to convert your problem to cylindrical coordinates.

Likes DavideGenoa
After some trials and a bit of intuition I have found a vector field whose curl is ##\boldsymbol{B}##:$$-\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi}\ln\|\mathbf{k}\times(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{x}_0)\|\mathbf{k}$$

Related to Magnetic vector potential of infinite straight wire

1. What is the magnetic vector potential of an infinite straight wire?

The magnetic vector potential of an infinite straight wire is a vector quantity that describes the magnetic field around the wire. It is defined as the product of the current flowing through the wire and the distance from the wire, and its direction is given by the right-hand rule.

2. How is the magnetic vector potential calculated for an infinite straight wire?

The magnetic vector potential for an infinite straight wire can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. What are the units of the magnetic vector potential?

The units of the magnetic vector potential are ampere-meters (A-m) in SI units. In the cgs system, it is expressed as gauss-centimeters (G-cm).

4. What is the direction of the magnetic vector potential around an infinite straight wire?

The direction of the magnetic vector potential around an infinite straight wire is given by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, the curl of your fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic vector potential.

5. How does the magnetic vector potential change with distance from the infinite straight wire?

The magnetic vector potential decreases with distance from the infinite straight wire, following an inverse relationship. This means that the further away you are from the wire, the weaker the magnetic field and the smaller the magnetic vector potential will be.