Massive Bigravity: Unbelievable Harmlessness of a Ghost?

• A
  • Thread starter fhenryco
  • Start date
In summary, Massive Bigravity is a theory that seeks to reconcile the concepts of gravity and relativity. It proposes the existence of a ghost-like particle called a graviton, which is believed to be responsible for the force of gravity. This theory offers a new perspective on the nature of gravity and its effects, suggesting that it may not be as harmful as previously thought. However, its validity and implications are still being studied and debated by scientists.
fhenryco
hi,

I'm currently reading and trying to make up my own mind about massive bigravity articles such as
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.05146.pdf

great effort is done to avoid the so-called BD ghost yet eventually the authors get a field equation (3.12) with both positive and negative energy sources coupling to gravity which i was always told is the perfect signature for the presence of ghost interactions ! If this antigravity physics is eventually allowed and harmless that would be really a revolution. that's why i want to be sure i understand the argument ! But i hardly find justifications : for instance in
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.3834.pdf
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.3834.pdf

there is the sentence (page 2): "Of course quantum corrections will force every sector to couple to every metric, but such couplings will be highly suppressed and are thus unimportant for the rest of this discussion."

Can this be the justification of the harmlessness of a ghost that appears like the nose on the middle of the face already in the first order field equation 3.12 ?! unbelievable ... but (and this is my second motivation) if true i would be glad since that would ensure the stability of my own theoretical proposal published many years ago...

Was this already discussed somewhere in physis forum ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fhenryco said:
Was this already discussed somewhere in physis forum ?

Use the search feature and generally you can find this out. In this case "bigravity" yields only one hit, and that was just a passing mention in a list of various article summaries.

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Beyond the Standard Model as this is an open area of research, not an already established theory.

Related to Massive Bigravity: Unbelievable Harmlessness of a Ghost?

1. What is Massive Bigravity?

Massive Bigravity is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes the existence of a massive graviton, a particle responsible for the force of gravity. It suggests that gravity is not just a curvature of space-time, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, but also a force mediated by a massive particle.

2. How does Massive Bigravity differ from other theories of gravity?

Massive Bigravity differs from other theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, in that it suggests the existence of a massive graviton. This means that gravity is not just a curvature of space-time, but also a force mediated by a particle with mass. This theory also proposes that gravity is not infinite in range, unlike other theories which suggest that it extends to infinity.

3. What is the "Unbelievable Harmlessness" of a Ghost in Massive Bigravity?

The "Unbelievable Harmlessness" of a Ghost refers to a property of the massive graviton proposed in Massive Bigravity. This property suggests that the massive graviton does not interact with matter, making it "ghost-like" or "harmless". This means that it would not cause any additional gravitational effects, such as the bending of light or the acceleration of objects, beyond what is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of Massive Bigravity?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of Massive Bigravity. However, there are ongoing experiments and observations being conducted to test this theory. Some studies have shown that Massive Bigravity can potentially explain certain discrepancies in the behavior of gravity on large scales, but more evidence is needed to fully validate this theory.

5. What are the potential implications of Massive Bigravity if it is proven to be true?

If Massive Bigravity is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the universe. It would mean that gravity is not just a curvature of space-time, but also a force mediated by a particle with mass. This could potentially lead to a better understanding of phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy, and could also have implications for the search for a unified theory of physics.