Master's Degree in both Physics & Computer Science?

In summary, the individual is a 28-year-old who completed a B.Sc in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science in 2007 followed by two years of work as a Software Engineer. They then started an M.Sc in Physics in 2009 but were unable to complete it due to personal and financial issues. They returned to work as a Software Engineer and now want to pursue a career in Physics, but have been informed that a Master's degree is required for admission to a PhD program. They are interested in finding programs that combine Physics and Computer Science, such as computational physics, engineering, or applied physics programs. They have heard of friends pursuing a similar program in Italy and Germany and are looking for details and eligibility criteria for such programs
anandsingh
Hi,

I am 28 years old. I have completed my B.Sc(Maths, Physics, Computer Science) in 2007. Immediately after that I have got job as a Software Engineer and worked for 2 years(2007-2009). But due to my interest in pursuing Masters in Physics. I have joined in M.Sc(Physics) in 2009 and in final semester of second year(2011), due to some social & my personal problems I was unable to attend the exams and left. so it became incomplete. And after that due to financial problems, I have joined in job again as Software Engineer and started working till now.

I would like to pursue my career back in Physics. I came to know that there is no chance of getting admission into PhD without a Master Degree.

I have came across with some of my friends who are pursuing Master's Degree in Italy and Germany. The Main thing is that they have mentioned. As I already have "Programming Experience", There are a lot programs that needs to have simulations run which are programmatic. So I guess there would be such programs which consist of both "Physics & Computer Science".

Please provide me the details if there are any such kind of programs. What is the eligibility criteria and prerequisites to get admission into such programs? Like in Italy, Germany, Sweden or USA where ever is fine for me. I just want to pursue Masters!

Your help would be much appreciated!

Best Regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
anandsingh said:
Hi,

I am 28 years old. I have completed my B.Sc(Maths, Physics, Computer Science) in 2007. Immediately after that I have got job as a Software Engineer and worked for 2 years(2007-2009). But due to my interest in pursuing Masters in Physics. I have joined in M.Sc(Physics) in 2009 and in final semester of second year(2011), due to some social & my personal problems I was unable to attend the exams and left. so it became incomplete. And after that due to financial problems, I have joined in job again as Software Engineer and started working till now.

I would like to pursue my career back in Physics. I came to know that there is no chance of getting admission into PhD without a Master Degree.

I have came across with some of my friends who are pursuing Master's Degree in Italy and Germany. The Main thing is that they have mentioned. As I already have "Programming Experience", There are a lot programs that needs to have simulations run which are programmatic. So I guess there would be such programs which consist of both "Physics & Computer Science".

Please provide me the details if there are any such kind of programs. What is the eligibility criteria and prerequisites to get admission into such programs? Like in Italy, Germany, Sweden or USA where ever is fine for me. I just want to pursue Masters!

Your help would be much appreciated!

Best Regards!

You could look into programs that call themselves computational physics, engineering or applied physics programs often have purely computational research where the physicists is programming simulations. An example I often give is University of Michigan's Applied Physics program, but there are many others that are similar. Good luck.

Likes 1 person
There are quite a few programs like this. Just do a quick search for something like "physics computer science double master degree".

In Heidelberg, Germany, there is a Master program in Computer Engineering:
http://www.ziti.uni-heidelberg.de/ziti/en/msc-computer-engineering
Besides that, it offers a lot of stuff in Computional Physics in case you're pursuing the 'regular' physics Master program. I suppose, that's similar for most other universities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocket50 said:
There are quite a few programs like this. Just do a quick search for something like "physics computer science double master degree".

I did and found none. Can you list some of them?

Related to Master's Degree in both Physics & Computer Science?

1. What is a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science?

A Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science is a graduate-level program that combines the study of physics and computer science. It provides students with advanced knowledge and skills in both fields, and prepares them for careers in fields such as research, academia, and industry.

2. What are the requirements for a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, applicants are expected to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, computer science, or engineering. They may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. What can I do with a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science?

Graduates with a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science have a diverse range of career options. They can work as data scientists, software engineers, research scientists, or in fields such as finance, healthcare, and aerospace. They may also choose to pursue a PhD in either physics or computer science.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science?

The duration of the program may vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science. This can also depend on whether the program is full-time or part-time, and if the student is completing a thesis or project.

5. Is a Master's Degree in Physics and Computer Science a good choice for me?

This depends on your interests and career goals. If you have a strong passion for both physics and computer science, and are interested in pursuing a career that combines these fields, then this degree may be a good fit for you. It is also a great choice for those looking to expand their knowledge and skills in both areas and advance in their careers.