Match row vector in matlab efficiently

In summary: By using one of these algorithms, you should be able to significantly improve the speed and efficiency of your matching process. In summary, the best way to find matches between a row vector and a large array would be to use a hashing algorithm such as MD5, SHA-1, or SHA-2. These algorithms are designed to be fast and efficient, making them the perfect solution for quickly finding and comparing matches in large datasets.
Mindscrape
I would like to take a row vector of my choosing and see if it matches any other rows in say a 1e6 x 100 array. I want to do this as fast as possible with matlab. There should only be, if any, one match with the actual data I'll be using because every row in my data (the matrix) will be unique.

What I've come up so far is to simulate the unique rows with rand, and the fastest method seems to using bsxfun (I'm getting ~.3 seconds on my machine).

Code:
A=ceil(10*rand(1e6,100));
B=ceil(10*rand(1,100));
tic
index=find(all(bsxfun(@eq,A,B),2));
toc
index

this is faster than both using ismember and using a for loop to check each row one-by-one. Still, there is something that is bugging me, something that is telling me that there should be an even more elegant and quicker way to find if there is a match and where that match is.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them.The best way to do this would be to use a hashing algorithm. A hashing algorithm takes the data, such as a row vector in your case, and converts it into a numerical value that can then be used to quickly compare and find matches. These algorithms are designed to be very fast and efficient, so they should be able to give you much better results than using bsxfun or any other methods. There are many different hashing algorithms available, but some of the most popular ones are MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-2.

Related to Match row vector in matlab efficiently

What is a row vector in Matlab?

A row vector in Matlab is a one-dimensional array that contains a single row of elements. It is represented by enclosing the elements in square brackets [ ].

How can I efficiently match a row vector in Matlab?

To efficiently match a row vector in Matlab, you can use the built-in function "ismember". This function compares two arrays and returns a logical array indicating which elements in the first array are also in the second array.

Can I match multiple row vectors at once in Matlab?

Yes, you can match multiple row vectors at once in Matlab by using the "ismember" function with a matrix input. Each row of the matrix will be compared to the specified row vector, and the output will be a logical matrix indicating the matching elements.

What is the advantage of using the "ismember" function for matching row vectors?

The "ismember" function in Matlab is optimized for efficient comparison of arrays. It uses a hash table algorithm, making it much faster than using a for loop to check for matching elements.

Can I use the "ismember" function to match row vectors with different data types?

Yes, the "ismember" function in Matlab can handle row vectors with different data types. It will automatically convert the elements to a common data type for comparison.