Math for Mechanical Engineering: A Beginner's Guide to Calculus and Beyond

• Thread starter Jtown
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, you will need to be proficient with algebra and trigonometry. If your arithmetic is rusty, you should brush up on that. Math prerequisites can be taken at a community college or delayed entry into ME program at college can be arranged if you have caught up. There are a variety of resources available for studying math including videos, books, and online courses.
Jtown
Hey everyone I'm new here but just about to start school again for mechanical engineering and was wondering what math would I need to take to lead me up to calculus because I've only passed one remedial math when I went 5 years ago

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The sequence would be

Algebra
Geometry
Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry
Precalculus
Calculus 1: Differential Calculus
Calculus 2: Integral Calculus
Calculus 3: Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Advanced Calculus
Boundary Value Problems

Thanks a lot. I was worried I'd have to take all of them in that order since I've been out of school for so long but I'm confident I can take those remedial maths to be caught up in a year and be ready for calculus the next so being 1 year behind doesn't bother me I. planned on graduating with bachelor's in 5.5 years

You are going to need to be proficient, at a minimum, with algebra and trigonometry. If you can also take a course in so-called 'college algebra', that would also be useful.
If your arithmetic is rusty, you should brush up on that as well. A course in Euclidean geometry is also recommended.

I am just seeing the list which jedishrfu has posted. Most ME curricula will start out with the Calculus 1 class and then go down the list from that point.

I did great in geometry and algebra was in precalculus my junior year of high school then messed up stuff lol didn't graduate just a ged but I figure I was in pre calculus that early I think it should all come back fairly easy but still want to retake trig precalculus in college the offer those right as remedial?

BTW thanks for awesome replies most helpful forum so far all other ones I've tried e just trolls lol

Jtown said:
I did great in geometry and algebra was in precalculus my junior year of high school then messed up stuff lol didn't graduate just a ged but I figure I was in pre calculus that early I think it should all come back fairly easy but still want to retake trig precalculus in college the offer those right as remedial?
Check with your school.

For remedial online resources check out

Mathispower4u.yolasite.com

There are a large number of short videos on each topic in each of the courses you wish to study.

In my experience engineering colleges tend to want you to start with calculus 1 in the first semester. So the way I see it there's two options:

1.) Take the math prerequisites at a community college or delay entry into the ME program when you get to college until you've caught up

2.) (And probably ideal) most colleges will administer a basic math proficiency exam. It will depend on the school, but it could be anything from clearing you to take calculus 1 to getting credit for all of the first-year calculus (generally clearing you to take calc 3, ie "multivariable calculus" or even up to differential equations). So time to hit the books :P

Try Khan Academy or Coursera for video lectures on the math. You should have no trouble finding all of the content you'll need (jedishrfu's progression is what you'll want to follow). I also recommend looking up some Shaum's Outlines books or even better the Demystified series.

Related to Math for Mechanical Engineering: A Beginner's Guide to Calculus and Beyond

1. What are the basic math concepts that every new member should know?

The most important math concepts that every new member should know include arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), fractions, decimals, percentages, and basic algebra (solving equations, simplifying expressions).

2. How can I improve my math skills as a new member?

The best way to improve your math skills is through practice. Make sure to review and practice the basic math concepts regularly and challenge yourself with more difficult problems as you progress. You can also seek help from online resources, tutors, or study groups.

3. What are some useful tips for understanding difficult math concepts?

One useful tip is to break down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try visualizing the problem or using real-life examples to make it more relatable. Asking questions and seeking clarification from others can also help in understanding difficult math concepts.

4. How can I overcome my fear of math as a new member?

The best way to overcome your fear of math is to face it head on. Start by identifying the root of your fear and then find ways to address it. Build your confidence by starting with easier problems and gradually moving on to more challenging ones. Remember to celebrate your progress and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me with math as a new member?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources that can help you with math. Some popular and helpful ones include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Mathisfun.com. You can also find helpful tutorials, practice problems, and forums on math-specific websites or even YouTube channels.