Math programs by concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for PhD programs in math with a focus on number theory. The speaker is looking for alternative ways of finding this information besides looking at individual schools. One suggestion is to ask faculty members at the speaker's current institution who specialize in number theory or algebra. The speaker also mentions the need for a school with a strong math department but not necessarily a top tier school.
fk378
I'm trying to find PhD programs in math that offer number theory as a focus. Where do I find this sort of information besides looking at each individual school? Is there some sort of catalogue or list that readily offers this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you're doing an undergrad degree in a place with a math department. Find out who among your faculty does number theory, and ask them. If nobody does number theory, ask an algebraist.

The only places that my professors know about are top tier schools, which I doubt I can get into. I need a school that has a good math department, but not THAT good. Any other suggestions?

Related to Math programs by concentration

1. What is a "Math program by concentration"?

A "Math program by concentration" refers to a specialized math program that focuses on a specific area or topic within mathematics. This allows students to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular aspect of math.

2. What are some examples of concentrations in math programs?

Some examples of concentrations in math programs include applied mathematics, statistics, algebra, geometry, calculus, and mathematical logic.

3. What are the benefits of choosing a math program by concentration?

By choosing a math program by concentration, students can develop a strong foundation in a specific area of math and become experts in that field. This can also open up more career opportunities in that particular field.

4. Are there any prerequisites for a math program by concentration?

The prerequisites for a math program by concentration may vary depending on the specific concentration chosen. However, most programs will require a strong background in mathematics, including courses in algebra, geometry, and calculus.

5. Can I switch concentrations within a math program?

It is possible to switch concentrations within a math program, but it may require additional coursework and may extend the length of the program. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your concentration.