Mathematica, Plot3D command and 3D points

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Mathematica's Plot3D command to plot a surface and the difficulty of plotting a point on the same graph. The solution is to create a list and use the Show command to display both plots together.
Telemachus
Hi there. Well, I got a surface plotted with Mathematica. I've used the Plot3D command for this. But now I want to plot a point in the same graph. The thing is I've used Taylors polynomial of second degree, and I want to "see" the point around which I'm making the approximation. But I don't know how to plot the point in the same graph, over the surface. I don't know how to plot points in the graph of a surface, using the Plot3D command.

Any help?

Bye there, and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to create a list that has the point or points you want to plot, then use the following command:

Show[Plot3D[...your surface plot...],ListPlot3D[...yourlist...]]

This will show both plots together.

thanks!

Related to Mathematica, Plot3D command and 3D points

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific computing. It provides a wide range of functions and tools for performing complex calculations, creating visualizations, and analyzing data. It is widely used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for research and development purposes.

What is the Plot3D command in Mathematica?

The Plot3D command in Mathematica is used to create three-dimensional plots of mathematical functions or data. It allows you to visualize functions or data in a three-dimensional space and customize the appearance of the plot with various options. It is a useful tool for gaining insights and understanding complex relationships between variables.

How do I plot 3D points in Mathematica?

To plot 3D points in Mathematica, you can use the ListPointPlot3D function. This function takes a list of 3D points as input and plots them in a three-dimensional space. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by specifying options such as color, size, and shape of the points.

What is the difference between Plot3D and ListPlot3D in Mathematica?

The Plot3D command is used to plot mathematical functions or data that can be defined using mathematical expressions. On the other hand, ListPlot3D is used to plot data that is given in the form of a list of points. Plot3D creates a continuous surface, while ListPlot3D creates individual points in a three-dimensional space.

How do I export a 3D plot from Mathematica?

To export a 3D plot from Mathematica, you can use the Export command. This command allows you to save the plot in various formats such as JPEG, PNG, PDF, or even 3D formats such as STL or VRML. You can also specify the size and resolution of the exported plot using options in the Export command.