Mathematica: text selection behavior

In summary, the conversation revolves around the frustration of trying to deselect a specific part of selected text in Mathematica using the cursor. The speakers express their annoyance and search for a solution to this issue, but it seems there is no easy way to customize the behavior. They also mention the possibility of creating a new "frontend tag" to solve the problem.
FocusedWolf
Ok i love Mathematica... but theirs 1 ONE thing i hate about it...

if i select text... and let's say i typed "1234" and i select "23", but i only wanted to select "2"... so i assume Mathematica's cursor works like every other program in the world and press [shift]+Left... my goal is to un-select that "3"...

then for some unknown reason i got "123" selected,,,

ya i know... this is a basic example... but when the example is massive... this little thing drives me nuts because i selected one to many and have to give up and reselect!

Physics news on Phys.org
same problem

YEAH! I know exacly what you mean... this is very annoying thing.

If anyone know how I can rid of this, please let me know... this forum or email would be great. (hydrant@mailbox.sk)

thx

After an extensive search it seems there is no easy way to customize this behaviour in Mathematica. It is defined by

Item[KeyEvent["Right", Modifiers -> {Shift}], "SelectNext"],
Item[KeyEvent["Left", Modifiers -> {Shift}], "SelectPrevious"]

in the "KeyEventTranslations.tr" file. I was not able to find any "frontend tags" like DeselectPrevious, but perhaps it is possible to create one.

Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Mathematica: text selection behavior

1. What is the default text selection behavior in Mathematica?

The default text selection behavior in Mathematica is to select the entire expression or word when clicking on it. This is known as "whole expression selection."

2. How do I change the text selection behavior in Mathematica?

To change the text selection behavior in Mathematica, you can go to the "Preferences" menu and select "Interface" and then "Editing & Formatting." From there, you can choose the desired text selection behavior under the "Selection Behavior" section.

3. Can I select multiple lines of code in Mathematica?

Yes, you can select multiple lines of code in Mathematica by holding down the "Shift" key while clicking and dragging your cursor over the desired lines of code. This will select multiple lines at once.

4. How can I select a specific portion of an expression in Mathematica?

To select a specific portion of an expression in Mathematica, you can use the "Alt" key on a PC or the "Option" key on a Mac while clicking and dragging your cursor over the desired portion. This will allow you to make a custom selection within the expression.

5. Is it possible to select non-contiguous text in Mathematica?

Yes, you can select non-contiguous text in Mathematica by holding down the "Ctrl" key on a PC or the "Command" key on a Mac while clicking on the desired portions of text. This will allow you to make multiple selections within the expression.