Maths and the infinite universe.

In summary, mathematics describes the universe, but we don't know for sure if all the universes that it describes actually exist. This argument fails to prove that the universe is infinite.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
mathematics describes the universe.
in mathematics there are infinities.
therefore the universe is described by infinities- therefore the universe is infinite.

what is the flaw?

i think that the flow is that in mathematics there arent just infinities but it also has finite answers.

Space news on Phys.org
Premise 1 is the problem. Math describes the universe, but also a countless number of worlds that don't actually exist. IOW, math can tell us about logically consistent universes, but not the actual universe we live in.

There has never been logical proof the universe is infinite.

Amendment:

mathematics describes the universe. {imperfectly and incompletely}
in mathematics there are infinities. {as far as we know.}

Pick one of the curly brackets.

Originally posted by Eh
Premise 1 is the problem. Math describes the universe, but also a countless number of worlds that don't actually exist. IOW, math can tell us about logically consistent universes, but not the actual universe we live in.

There has never been logical proof the universe is infinite.
we don't know for sure that these worlds don't actually exist (there is multiverse interpetation of quantum theory which implies that these worlds actually do exist now if it's correct [i don't how you can proove it] then the maths that describes them is correct and therefore so is the multiverse is described by infinity]).

btw, I am not a believer in multiverse idea.

Originally posted by FZ+
Amendment:

mathematics describes the universe. {imperfectly and incompletely}
in the brackets do you refer to the mathematics or to the universe?

i think you referred to the former, and in reply to that who are we to think that the universe should be perfect or complete (our understanding of the universe may be incomplete and so is the maths).
if maths describes the universe and it's incomplete it's because our knowledge is thus incomplete.

here's another try to proove that the universe is infinite (i think the flaw in here is that he can't disproove that the the universe is finite he just says it can't be proove for all we know the universe finite's is unconcluded).

the webpage with the proof:
http://www.micromike.com/cosmology/cosmosargument.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
we don't know for sure that these worlds don't actually exist (there is multiverse interpetation of quantum theory which implies that these worlds actually do exist now if it's correct [i don't how you can proove it] then the maths that describes them is correct and therefore so is the multiverse is described by infinity]).

btw, I am not a believer in multiverse idea.

Even if the MWI, not all logically consistent universes would exist. Only universe consistent with QM would.

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
here's another try to proove that the universe is infinite...
the webpage with the proof:
http://www.micromike.com/cosmology/cosmosargument.htm

All I can say is YIKES.

P1: There are two choices: The cosmos is infinite or it is finite.

Good so far.

P2: If I can prove that it can't be finite, then logically it must be infinite.

Good. No all one has to do is disprove the finite case...

P3: From set theory, for any set to be finite, the set must have a boundary.

Things are starting to fall in the toilet, because he's confusing sets with the geometry of space. In terms of geometry, one does not need a boundary or edge to define a finite volume. But even if we were to give him this by pretending to live 5000 years ago in the time of Euclid, the argument still falls apart below.

P4: Thus to prove a finite cosmos, one must be able to prove there is a boundary.

False, since P3 is invalid. But let's assume it's correct to this point.

P5: The cone of knowledge concept from philosophy and physics shows that we can never know all that exists.

Fine.

P6: Since we can't know all that exists we can never prove the cosmos has a boundary.

Ok...

Conclusion 1: Since we can't prove a boundary, we can never prove the cosmos is finite.

That follows.

Conclusion 2: Thus, the cosmos is infinite.

Conclusion 2 does not follow from conclusion 1, because all that has been established is that we cannot prove the universe is finite, not that the universe cannot actually be finite. Because a premise can not be proven, does not mean it's negation is automatically true.

I would seriously have to question the intelligence of someone capable of putting together such poorly reasoned drivel and thinking it to be valid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maths and the infinite universe.

1. What is the relationship between maths and the infinite universe?

The relationship between maths and the infinite universe is complex and multifaceted. On one hand, maths provides a powerful tool for understanding and describing the vastness and complexity of the universe. Many scientific theories and models, such as the Big Bang theory and Einstein's theory of relativity, rely heavily on mathematical equations and concepts to explain the workings of the universe. On the other hand, the concept of infinity itself is a mathematical construct, and maths is crucial in exploring and understanding the infinite nature of the universe.

2. How does maths help us to understand the concept of infinity?

Maths provides us with a framework for comprehending and exploring the concept of infinity. For example, the concept of limits in calculus allows us to approach infinity as a value that can be approximated, even though it is not a finite number. Set theory and number theory also play important roles in understanding infinity, as they provide methods for categorizing and quantifying infinite sets and numbers.

3. Can maths be used to prove the existence of an infinite universe?

Maths cannot definitively prove the existence of an infinite universe, as it is ultimately a philosophical question that cannot be answered through mathematical reasoning alone. However, maths can provide evidence and support for the idea of an infinite universe through theories and models, such as the concept of a multiverse, which suggest that our universe is just one of an infinite number of parallel universes.

4. What are some examples of mathematical concepts that relate to the infinite universe?

There are many mathematical concepts that relate to the infinite universe. Some examples include the concept of infinity itself, as well as concepts such as fractals, which are infinitely complex patterns that can be found in nature. Other examples include the concept of infinity as a limit in calculus, the infinite series used in physics and cosmology, and the use of infinite sets in geometry and topology to describe the structure of the universe.

5. How does the study of maths and the infinite universe impact our understanding of the world?

The study of maths and the infinite universe has a profound impact on our understanding of the world. It allows us to explore and make sense of the vastness and complexity of the universe, and to develop theories and models that help us to explain and predict its behavior. It also challenges our perceptions and expands our thinking, as the concept of infinity pushes us to consider ideas and possibilities beyond our finite understanding.