MATLAB Help for expansion of cos(x) using a Taylor Series

In summary, the code is trying to find the Taylor series expansion for cos(x), but is not doing so correctly because the loop is not being executed correctly.
Tuttle917
I was hoping somebody would be able to help me as I am pretty new to Matlab. I am trying to create a for-loop to describe the taylor series expansion of cos(x)= (-1)^n*x^2n/(2n)! and to see how it converges towards cos(x). Below is the code that I have used to plot the different orders of n, but I was wondering if there was a way to make this work for any value of n?

n=0;
for x = -6:0.25:6
n=n+1;
y(n)=x;
F(n)=cos(x);
F0(n)=1;
F2(n)=1-0.5*x^2;
F4(n)=1-0.5*x^2+(1/24)*x^4;
end
plot(y,F,y,F0,y,F2,y,F4)
axis([-6 6 -1.5 1.5])

I have tried

n=0;
for x=(-2:.25:2)
n=n+1;
Y(n)=x;
F(n)=cos(x);
G(n)=1+(-1)^n*x^(2*n)/prod(1:2*n);
end
plot(y,G)

but the plot for G does not come close to cos(x) as the values of n are not constant and the plot goes to zero. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is to make a function that will take in as arguments n and x and will return the approximated cosine.

Tuttle917 said:
G(n)=1+(-1)^n*x^(2*n)/prod(1:2*n);
This is not correct, as it is the sum of the 0th term and the nth term. There should be a loop in order to sum over n.

Also, MATLAB has a factorial function, so factorial(2*n) should be used instead of prod(1:2*n).

MATLAB CODE FOR CALCULATION TAYLOR SERIES a*cos(bx)^2

clear all
clc

a=input('enter an a value ');
b=input('enter an b value ');
x1=input('enter an x1 value ');
x2=input('enter an x2 value ');
f(x1)=a*cos(b*x1)^2;
f1(x1)=-2*a*b*cos(b*x1)*sin(b*x1); %diff(f(x1))
f2(x1)=2*a*b^2*sin(b*x1)^2 - 2*a*b^2*cos(b*x1)^2; %diff(f1(x1))
f3(x1)=8*a*b^3*cos(b*x1)*sin(b*x1);%diff(f2(x1))

y=f(x1)+f1(x1)*(x2-x1)+(f2(x1)*(x2-x1)^2)+(f3(x1)*(x2-x1)^3)/6 f(x2)=a*cos(b*x2)^2;
f1(x2)=-2*a*b*cos(b*x2)*sin(b*x2); %diff(f(x2))
f2(x2)=2*a*b^2*sin(b*x2)^2 - 2*a*b^2*cos(b*x2)^2; %diff(f1(x2))
f3(x2)=8*a*b^3*cos(b*x2)*sin(b*x2); %diff(f2(x2))

z=f(x2)+f1(x2)*(x2-x1)+(f2(x2)*(x2-x1)^2)+(f3(x2)*(x2-x1)^3)/6

error=((y-z)/y)*100

Related to MATLAB Help for expansion of cos(x) using a Taylor Series

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function at a specific point. It is used to approximate a function and is especially useful for functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

How is a Taylor Series used in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, the taylor function is used to generate a Taylor Series expansion of a given function. This function takes in the function to be expanded, the variable of expansion, and the order of the expansion as its inputs. It then outputs the Taylor Series as a symbolic expression.

What is the syntax for using the taylor function in MATLAB?

The syntax for using the taylor function in MATLAB is: taylor(f, x, n), where f is the function to be expanded, x is the variable of expansion, and n is the order of the expansion. Alternatively, the taylor function can also take in additional arguments for specifying the point of expansion and the interval of convergence.

Can the taylor function be used for any function?

The taylor function can only be used for functions that are defined and differentiable at the point of expansion. If the function is not differentiable at that point, the Taylor Series will not accurately represent the function. Additionally, the Taylor Series may not converge for functions with a limited interval of convergence.

Are there any other useful functions for expanding functions in MATLAB?

Yes, in addition to the taylor function, MATLAB also has the series function, which can be used to generate a power series expansion of a given function. The series function takes in similar inputs as the taylor function, but also allows for additional options such as specifying the number of terms in the expansion and the interval of convergence.