Matlab Question (book) + Software Tools

In summary: If you can solve them, you will have a strong foundation on which to build more sophisticated control systems.
ravenprp
Hi, I am an EE student right now. I'm planning on learning a little more in dept about matlab. I have a basic intro to MATLAB for engineering book, and I've exhausted the material for it.

Any suggestions on a good book that contains topics that I can use for later classes (such as control systems, signal and systems, etc...)

----

Also, I want to learn at least one software tool for circuit simulation. I've heard of PSpice, which is the personal edition of spice. Also, of MultiSim.

Any recommendations as to which prog to use and what book is helpful?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
We use pspice at my university. As far as Matlab books are concerned just look on http://amazon.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me give you a tip for your control systems, communication systems and signals classes: open up MATLAB and type "simulink" without the quotes.

Learn to use Simulink, because it will save your life during control systems. It is the greatest tool a control engineer can have. You can also do circuit simulations, I believe, but I've always used PSPICE and HSPICE for that.

A good MATLAB book I've used is "Contemporary Communication Systems using MATLAB & Simulink" by John Proakis. When the time comes for you to take a Comm. class, get that book.

Other good things to know for MATLAB are the functions:

tf() to enter a transfer function

bode() to get a Bode plot

rlocus() to get a root locus plot

nyquist() to get a Nyquist plot

roots() to get the poles/zeros from an eqn (there are other functions for
this, but this is the fastest when you are new)

conv() to convolve polynomials, so you don't have to multiply out two 10th order systems.

step() to generate a step response

Simulink is integrated perfectly with MATLAB, so you can use both at the same time to really learn about the system you are working with.

You will use these functions over, and over, and over, and over.

Modern Control Systems by Richard C. Dorf and Robert H. Bishop has lots of problems to be solved in Matlab.

Related to Matlab Question (book) + Software Tools

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows for efficient data manipulation, visualization, and algorithm development.

2. What are the benefits of using Matlab?

Some benefits of using Matlab include its ease of use, wide range of built-in functions and toolboxes, ability to handle large datasets, and compatibility with other programming languages.

3. Is Matlab suitable for beginners?

Yes, Matlab is suitable for beginners as it has a user-friendly interface and an extensive documentation and support system. However, some prior knowledge of programming concepts may be helpful.

4. Can I use Matlab for data analysis?

Yes, Matlab is commonly used for data analysis tasks such as data preprocessing, statistical analysis, and machine learning. Its powerful numerical computing capabilities make it well-suited for handling large datasets.

5. What additional software tools are available for Matlab?

There are numerous additional software tools and toolboxes available for Matlab, depending on the specific application or field of study. Some examples include the Image Processing Toolbox, the Control System Toolbox, and the Financial Toolbox.