Matrix representation of a quantum system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix representation of Sx, Sy, and Sz using given information. There is some confusion about how the ket at the bottom affects the matrix and the Dirac representation of a matrix element is mentioned. The final question asks for clarification on the representation of an operator in bracket notation.
whatisgoingon

Homework Statement

I have to find the matrix system of Sx, Sy , and Sz using the given information:
190899[/ATTACH]']
MR5aRwH.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for attempting Sx:
Ignoring the ket at the bottom, I would get Sx|+> = +ħ/2[[0,1],[1,0]]
but my question here is, does the ket at the bottom(the |±>x = 1/√2 [|+> ± |->] affect the matrix?
because the matrix form of the ket will be 1/√2([1,1]).
With that said, would I have to insert that into the Sx equation? Giving me the matrix representation of 190901[/ATTACH]']
7qaYfVU.jpg

Attachments

• MR5aRwH.jpg
    MR5aRwH.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 7qaYfVU.jpg
    7qaYfVU.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org
whatisgoingon said:
Ignoring the ket at the bottom, I would get Sx|+> = +ħ/2[[0,1],[1,0]]
That doesn't make sense. The result of an operator on a ket is a ket, so it can be represented as a vector, not a matrix. And how can you obtain that result without considering "the ket at the bottom?"

What is the Dirac representation of a matrix element?

DrClaude said:
That doesn't make sense. The result of an operator on a ket is a ket, so it can be represented as a vector, not a matrix.
whoops, I meant Sx is represented as ħ/2 [[0,1],[1,0]].
DrClaude said:
And how can you obtain that result without considering "the ket at the bottom?
I was under the assumption that the ket |+> = [1,0] and that the ket at the bottom didn't affect it. From your response I guess, it does affect it.

Also isn't the dirac representation just the bra and ket? <+|A|+>

whatisgoingon said:
whoops, I meant Sx is represented as ħ/2 [[0,1],[1,0]].
Ok. But, still, how did you get that matrix?

whatisgoingon said:
I was under the assumption that the ket |+> = [1,0] and that the ket at the bottom didn't affect it. From your response I guess, it does affect it.
You have to distinguish between ##| \pm \rangle## and ##| \pm \rangle_x##

whatisgoingon said:
Also isn't the dirac representation just the bra and ket?
Yes. What is a single matrix element of the representation of an operator in bracket notation?

Related to Matrix representation of a quantum system

1. What is a matrix representation of a quantum system?

A matrix representation of a quantum system is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system. It is a matrix that contains all the information about the probabilities of the system being in different states.

2. How is a matrix representation of a quantum system related to the wave function?

The matrix representation of a quantum system is closely related to the wave function. The elements of the matrix represent the amplitude of the wave function for each state of the system, and the square of these amplitudes give the probability of the system being in that state.

3. What are the benefits of using a matrix representation of a quantum system?

Using a matrix representation allows for a more concise and efficient way of describing the state of a quantum system. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and make predictions about the system's behavior.

4. Can a matrix representation of a quantum system be used for all types of quantum systems?

Yes, a matrix representation can be used for all types of quantum systems, including particles with spin, multiple particles, and systems with varying energy levels. However, the size and complexity of the matrix may increase for more complex systems.

5. How is a matrix representation of a quantum system verified experimentally?

A matrix representation of a quantum system can be verified experimentally by measuring the probabilities of the system being in different states and comparing them to the predicted values from the matrix. This can be done using techniques such as quantum state tomography or quantum process tomography.