Max Load Calculation for Truss with 10ft Span

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the truss can support a maximum load of 1500 lb. using the node method, assuming axial forces throughout the members and using half of the truss to calculate the load.
shaiqbashir
fig 6-12)
Members AB and BC can support a max compressive force of 800 lb. and members AD,DC and BD can support a max tensile force of 1500 lb. If a=10 ft determine the greatest load "P" the truss can support.

My dear friends!

the above truss question has become a headache for me. I know how to solve truses but if you see in this question, the load P you have to determine, now this is i just can't able to do. Please help me, give me some hints so that i can solve this question. PLeasee

I shall be thankful to you for this act of kindness

Attachments

• 6-12.JPG
    6-12.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 949
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shaiq,

Can you please post what you've tried so far?

Remember in a truss we assume there are only axial forces throught the members, because of the 3 truss hypotheses. They are giving you the value of each of the forces acting on the members, so you can use the node method on the place where the P load is applied and simply solve for P, remember it's in static equilibrium.

Why don't you calculate using half of the truss you know you know AD and CD will have the same values (know that you will have to check for equilibrium when you are done to be sure you did not put all the load only in one of those two members) and then do it like Cyclovenom said

Related to Max Load Calculation for Truss with 10ft Span

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework composed of straight, interconnected elements that are used to support loads. It is typically made of steel or timber and is commonly used in bridge and roof construction.

2. How do you solve a truss?

To solve a truss, you must first identify all the external forces acting on it, such as weight and tension. Then, you can use equilibrium equations and methods of structural analysis, such as the method of joints or method of sections, to determine the internal forces and reactions at each joint.

3. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several types of trusses, including Pratt, Warren, Howe, and K trusses. These differ in their overall shape and the arrangement of their members, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of strength and cost.

4. What are the limitations of truss analysis?

Truss analysis assumes that all the members are perfectly connected and do not experience any bending or torsion. This simplification may not accurately represent real-life structures, where connections can be imperfect and members may experience bending or twisting forces. Additionally, truss analysis is limited to linearly elastic materials.

5. What are some tips for solving truss problems?

Some tips for solving truss problems include drawing a clear and accurate free-body diagram, labeling all forces and reactions, choosing a method of analysis that is suitable for the given truss, and double-checking your calculations and assumptions. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable sections and to practice with simpler truss problems before attempting more complex ones.