Maximizing gain in a bipolar transistor amplifier: capacitor vs. resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the output voltage of an amplifier with no input and how it should theoretically be equal to around 7.5V. There is also mention of biasing the output at half of the 15V supply and using a resistor divider to achieve this. The conversation then addresses a "big value" for Vc and suggests checking the transistor pinout and values of the base resistor divider. Another question is raised about increasing gain by removing a 15microF capacitor, to which the response is to ground the emitter for maximum gain or cascade multiple stages in series. Alternatively, a current source can be used instead of a collector resistor.
math&science
I have the amplifier in the attached file and I measured Vout without any input and got a really big number. Should it be really big or really small? I mean theoretically, what should it be equal to because I'm not sure that my answer makes any sense. Thanks!

Attachments

• circuit.doc
    26 KB · Views: 269
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll admit I didn't bother doing any calcualtions so take this as a best hunch: With no input on the base you should have ~7.5V out. The transistor should probably be biased somewhere in the middle of the Q-point thus the CE current should induce about a 7.5V drop across the Collector resistor. This is a rough assessment.

To bias the output at half of the 15V supply, you want about 1mA of quiescent collector current (given the collector resistor that you show). That puts the emitter at about 1V, and the base at about 1.6V. The input resistor divider should be sized to provide that bias voltage, accounting for the base current of about 1mA/beta. I didn't check the base resistor divider to see if it accomplishes this -- check the values, and then probe the E,B,C points again to see if you can figure out what might be wrong. When you say a "big value" for Vc, I assume you mean up by the 15V rail? If so, figure out why the transistor is off. And make sure that you have the pinout right for the 2N3904.

Oh thank you! I got around 8 V but then someone told me it should be a really small number and so I got confused. Thank you for clarifying.
One more question, if you have an input but took out the 15microF capacitor, is it possible to increase the gain in any way? I know that if you take out the capacitor, you get a lower gain because that capacitor increases the output voltage.

Last edited:
math&science said:
One more question, if you have an input but took out the 15microF capacitor, is it possible to increase the gain in any way? I know that if you take out the capacitor, you get a lower gain because that capacitor increases the output voltage.
The gain of that configuration is about -Rc/Re, where Re is the sum of the intrinsic emitter resistance re and the external emitter resistor. You can ground the emitter to maximize the gain, but then your bias point is not as stable over temperature and transistor component variations. Using the capacitor in parallel with the emitter resistor gives you an effective grounding of the emitter at frequencies above 1/2piRC, which gives you max gain there. If you need more gain, you will need to cascade (not cascode...) a couple stages in series, or use a current source instead of the collector resistor.

Related to Maximizing gain in a bipolar transistor amplifier: capacitor vs. resistor

What is a bipolar transistor amplifier?

A bipolar transistor amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses bipolar transistors to amplify an electrical signal. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers and other electronic devices to increase the strength of a weak signal.

How does a bipolar transistor amplifier work?

A bipolar transistor amplifier works by using two layers of semiconductor material, one with an excess of electrons (n-type) and one with a deficiency of electrons (p-type). By applying a small current to the base of the transistor, the flow of electrons from the n-type layer to the p-type layer is controlled, allowing for amplification of the input signal.

What are the advantages of using a bipolar transistor amplifier?

One of the main advantages of using a bipolar transistor amplifier is its high gain, meaning it can amplify a weak signal to a much stronger one. It also has a wide frequency range and low distortion, making it ideal for use in audio and radio frequency applications.

What are the limitations of a bipolar transistor amplifier?

One limitation of a bipolar transistor amplifier is its relatively high power consumption. It also requires careful design and biasing to ensure stable operation. Additionally, it can be affected by temperature and noise, which can impact its performance.

How is a bipolar transistor amplifier different from a field-effect transistor amplifier?

A bipolar transistor amplifier uses bipolar transistors, which are made of two layers of semiconductor material, while a field-effect transistor amplifier uses field-effect transistors, which are made of a single layer of semiconductor material. Additionally, the amplification mechanism is different between the two types of amplifiers, resulting in differences in characteristics and performance.