Maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube

In summary: The system of equations seems to be just completely determined (neither overdetermined or underdetermined). We have two unknown vectors ##\vec{v}_0## and ##\vec{\omega}##, and two vector equations that...The system of equations is solved for ##\vec{v}_0## and ##\vec{\omega}##.The system of equations is solved for ##\vec{v}_0## and ##\vec{\omega}##.The velocity of vertex ##H## is ##v_{3}## and lies on the plane of the black face at that instant.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A rigid cube in the figure moves in space. At a certain time ##t## its front face ##ABCD## is vertical and the velocity of vertex ##A## is vertical down ##v## while the velocity of its vertex ##D## makes an angle with the vertical and has magnitude ##v_{2}## while lying on the plane of the front face. Assume that the speed of vertex ##H## is ##v_{3}## and lies on the plane of the black face at that instant. Assume that the side of the cube is ##s##.

30mn62f.png

(a) Can you write ##v_{3}## in terms of ##v## and ##v_{2}## at time ##t##?

(b) What are the points in the cube that have the minimum and maximum velocity at time ##t##?

Homework Equations

Rigid cube motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Not sure. It must have something to do with translations and rotations of a rigid cube/square but not sure how to approach this problem.

Attachments

• 30mn62f.png
    30mn62f.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:
not sure how to approach this problem.
A useful first step could be to find a different reference frame that simplifies things a little.
Then consider how an adjacent vertex (of those mentioned) might be moving. Create variables as necessary to represent that.

But.. seems to me there is not enough info for the first part.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link and Jenny Physics
I think I sort of know how to work this problem. The motion of the cube involves a motion of its center at some velocity ## \vec{v}_o ## plus a rotation that passes through its center of angular velocity vector ## \vec{\omega} ##. The velocity ## \vec{v} ## of any point ##\vec{r} ## from the center can be written as ## \vec{v}=\vec{v}_o+\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} ##. With that, you might be able to come up with a closed form answer for the velocity at the vertex ## H ##. ## \\ ## And like @haruspex , I'm not sure whether there is sufficient info for a complete answer. That remains to be determined.

Likes Delta2 and Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
A useful first step could be to find a different reference frame that simplifies things a little.
Then consider how an adjacent vertex (of those mentioned) might be moving. Create variables as necessary to represent that.

But.. seems to me there is not enough info for the first part.

I imagine I could pick a reference frame at one of the vertices, say ##A##. This is the origin of the reference frame. Then I can define axes ##x,y,z##, say ##z## is from ##A## to ##D##, ##x## is from ##A## to ##E## and ##y## is from ##A## to ##B##. In this frame, vertex ##D## would have velocity ##v\hat{y}-v_{2y}\hat{y}+v_{2x}\hat{x}## while ##H## would have velocity ##v\hat{y}+v_{3x}\hat{x}+v_{3y}\hat{y}##...

Jenny Physics said:
I could pick a reference frame at one of the vertices, say A.
Right, but I was thinking of such a frame moving with A.

Edit: please define your x, y, z directions.

haruspex said:
Suppose you know exactly how the line AH moves. That must satisfy all the given info about the motions of A and H, but leaves a degree of freedom for D.
The velocity of ##D## and ##H## lie in the specified planes. Maybe this restricts the freedom?

Jenny Physics said:
The velocity of ##D## and ##H## lie in the specified planes. Maybe this restricts the freedom?
Which planes? I see none specified, but there are some implied.

haruspex said:
Which planes? I see none specified, but there are some implied.
The velocity of ##D## lies on the front face plane, and the velocity of ##H## lies on the black face plane.

Jenny Physics said:
The velocity of ##D## lies on the front face plane, and the velocity of ##H## lies on the black face plane.
Yes, you are right about H - I missed that (because it said "speed" but should say velocity). But D is not restricted to the front face plane. You cannot tell which plane the arrow is in.

Edit: however, I still see a difficulty. Even if we know exactly how A and D move, within the given constraints, I can see a degree of freedom for the movement of H.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
Charles Link said:
I think I sort of know how to work this problem. The motion of the cube involves a motion of its center at some velocity ## \vec{v}_o ## plus a rotation that passes through its center of angular velocity vector ## \vec{\omega} ##. The velocity ## \vec{v} ## of any point ##\vec{r} ## from the center can be written as ## \vec{v}=\vec{v}_o+\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} ##. With that, you might be able to come up with a closed form answer for the velocity at the vertex ## H ##. ## \\ ## And like @haruspex , I'm not sure whether there is sufficient info for a complete answer. That remains to be determined.

The system of equations seems to be just completely determined (neither overdetermined or underdetermined). We have two unknown vectors ##\vec{v}_0## and ##\vec{\omega}##, and two vector equations that we get if we apply ## \vec{v}=\vec{v}_o+\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} ## for ##\vec{r}=\vec{r_A}## and ##\vec{r}=\vec{r_D}##. Totally we have 6 algebraic equations and 6 unknowns, the x,y,z components of the vectors ##\vec{v_0}## and ##\vec{\omega}##.
@haruspex Given what I said just above, how do you see a degree of freedom for the movement of H?

The only thing which is abit free for me, is if the centre of rotation coincides with the centre of the cube. If it does not then the system of equations is underdetermined as we also have as unknown the center of rotation ##\vec{r_0}##, we would have 3 unknown vectors and 2 vector equations in this case.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
Delta2 said:
how do you see a degree of freedom for the movement of H?
E.g. A and D moving straight down same speed. The cube can rotate at arbitrary rate around AD.

haruspex said:
E.g. A and D moving straight down same speed. The cube can rotate at arbitrary rate around AD.
That could be the case, and then the centre of rotation is not the c.o.m of the cube.

In the absence of external forces a rigid body can rotate only around its c.o.m, but of course the way the problem is given does not imply that we don't have forces acting on the cube.

Delta2 said:
That could be the case, and then the centre of rotation is not the c.o.m of the cube.

In the absence of external forces a rigid body can rotate only around its c.o.m, but of course the way the problem is given does not imply that we don't have forces acting on the cube.
Yes, I had not interpreted it as implying it is a massive body with no external forces. It is not even clear that the cube has mass - it is just a shape. But that may be what needs to be assumed.

Delta2 said:
we have 6 algebraic equations
We do not. We only know the magnitude of D's velocity and one constraint on the direction of H. That leaves us one equation short.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
We do not. We only know the magnitude of D's velocity and one constraint on the direction of H. That leaves us one equation short.
My bad, I didn't read carefully the statement, and because ##v_2## (as well as ##v##) was drawn in the scheme I thought we knew everything about it.

haruspex said:
Yes, you are right about H - I missed that (because it said "speed" but should say velocity). But D is not restricted to the front face plane. You cannot tell which plane the arrow is in.

Edit: however, I still see a difficulty. Even if we know exactly how A and D move, within the given constraints, I can see a degree of freedom for the movement of H.
I think it does say the velocity vector of ## D ## lies in the plane of the front face. Thereby it seems they may have given enough info for a solution.

Likes Jenny Physics
Additional item is that I think the earlier discussion was mixing kinematics with dynamics. The center of mass should be of no concern here. To specify the motion of a rigid body, 6 parameters are needed. ## \\ ## I think any point ## P ## of the rigid body can be taken as the point of reference, and the motion can be described by the velocity vector ## \vec{v}_p ## of that point, along with an angular velocity vector ## \vec{\omega}_p ## for a rotation with axis through the point ## P ##, and ## \vec{\omega}_p ## will depend on the point ## P ## that was chosen. ## \\ ## [Edit comment: I believe the required rotation ## R ## and thereby the resulting ## \vec{\omega} ## will, in fact, be independent of the point ## P ## that is selected]. ## \\ ## e.g. If the body undergoes a movement of some kind from its initial location, you can displace a point ## P ## in the body to its new location ## \vec{r}'_p ##, and then perform a rotation of some kind with point ## P ## remaining stationary, and that will locate the body exactly where it needs to be. ## \\ ## In this case, one choice for the point ## P ## is the center of the cube, but it is not necessary to pick that point as the point ## P ##. It might simplify things to use the vertex ## A ## as the point ## P ##.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
I know as a homework helper, I'm not supposed to supply answers, but this case is a little different, as it seems to have a couple of us scratching our heads. If the velocity vector ## \vec{v} ## of vertex ## A ## were zero, I think we could conclude that ## \vec{v}_2=\vec{v}_3 ## [Edit note: See post 20=we later concluded this is not necessarily the case], and I think that is also the case if ## \vec{v} ## is non-zero. ## \\ ## Did I reach an incorrect conclusion, or is this problem quite simple once the right point (## A ##) is chosen as the reference? ## \\ ## Edit: My next question is, how can ## \vec{v}_2 ## possibly point in any direction but vertical? If we rotate about the axis through ## A ## with the axis of rotation perpendicular to the front face, the vector ## \vec{v}_2 ## necessarily points in the vertical direction. (Because ## \vec{v}_2 ## lies in the plane of the front face, the rotation we do using vertex ## A ## as a reference must have its axis perpendicular to the front face).

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
Charles Link said:
I know as a homework helper, I'm not supposed to supply answers, but this case is a little different, as it seems to have a couple of us scratching our heads. If the velocity vector ## \vec{v} ## of vertex ## A ## were zero, I think we could conclude that ## \vec{v}_2=\vec{v}_3 ##, and I think that is also the case if ## \vec{v} ## is non-zero. ## \\ ## Did I reach an incorrect conclusion, or is this problem quite simple once the right point (## A ##) is chosen as the reference? ## \\ ## Edit: My next question is, how can ## \vec{v}_2 ## possibly point in any direction but vertical? If we rotate about the axis through ## A ## with the axis of rotation perpendicular to the front face, the vector ## \vec{v}_2 ## necessarily points in the vertical direction. (Because ## \vec{v}_2 ## lies in the plane of the front face, the rotation we do using vertex ## A ## as a reference must have its axis perpendicular to the front face).
Why would ##v_{3}=v_{2}##? What rule is being used to find velocities at any point of the dark face?

Let's write out the vector equations: Let's assume for simplicity that point ## A ## has zero velocity.## \\ ## (Edit: The case where ## \vec{v}_A \neq 0 ## will just require a simple addition to the following results. We will work in the rest frame of ## A ##. I could have then used primes ## \vec{v}_2' ## and ## \vec{v}_3' ## on the velocity vectors, but the concepts should be clear in any case). ## \\ ## We have ## \vec{v_2}=v_{2i}\hat{i}+v_{2j} \hat{j}=\vec{\omega}_A \times s \hat{i} ##. That means ## \vec{\omega}_A ## has no ## \hat{j} ## component, or ## \vec{v}_2 ## would get a non-zero ## \vec{k} ## component. It does not rule out a component in the ## \hat{i} ## direction for ## \vec{\omega}_A ##. ## \\ ## In any case ## v_{2i} ## is necessarily zero, because the ## s \vec{i} ## is the ## \vec{r} ## in the ## \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r} ## term. (## \vec{v}_2 ## must be perpendicular to ## s \hat{i} ## ). ## \\ ## It appears the ## \hat{i} ## component of ## \vec{\omega}_A ## remains undetermined. Because the location of ## H ## is ## \vec{r}_H= s \hat{i}-s \hat{k} ##, any non-zero ## \hat{i} ## component of ## \vec{\omega}_A ## will result in a non-zero ## v_{3j } \hat{j} ## component for point ## H ## that gets added to the ## v_{3j} ## from the ## \omega_{Ak} \hat{k} ## rotation. .## \\ ## (This term is ## \omega_{Ai} \, s \hat{j}## and it will add to the ## v_{3j} \hat{j} ## from the ## \omega_{Ak} \hat{k} ## rotation which results in a ## \omega_{A k} \hat{k} \times s \hat{i}=\omega_{Ak} \, s \hat{j} ## term). ## \\ ## From this it would appear there is insufficient info to compute ## \vec{v}_3 ##, and in addition, my statement in post 18 that ## \vec{v}_2=\vec{v}_3 ## would appear to be incorrect. It could be the case, but it doesn't have to be.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
A follow-on to the previous post: Note if ## \vec{\omega}_A ## has only a ## \hat{k} ## component, then ## \vec{v}_2=\vec{v}_3 ##. ## \\ ## If ## \vec{\omega}_A ## has a non-zero ## \hat{i} ## component, then ## \vec{v}_2 \neq \vec{v}_3 ##.

Likes Jenny Physics

Related to Maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube

What is the concept of maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube?

The concept of maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube refers to the fastest and slowest speeds that a cube can achieve while in motion. These speeds are determined by various factors such as the cube's size, weight, and the force applied to it.

How are maximum and minimum speeds calculated in a moving cube?

The maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube are calculated using the formula v = √(2as), where v is the speed, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled. This formula is derived from the basic principles of physics and can be used to determine the cube's speed at any given point during its motion.

What factors can affect the maximum and minimum speeds of a moving cube?

Several factors can affect the maximum and minimum speeds of a moving cube, including the cube's shape, surface friction, air resistance, and any external forces acting upon it. These factors can either increase or decrease the cube's speed, resulting in a change in its maximum and minimum speeds.

Is it possible for a cube to have the same maximum and minimum speeds?

Yes, it is possible for a cube to have the same maximum and minimum speeds. This would occur when the cube is moving at a constant speed without any changes in acceleration or external forces acting upon it. In such a scenario, the cube's maximum and minimum speeds would be equal to its average speed.

Why is understanding maximum and minimum speeds important in the study of moving cubes?

Understanding maximum and minimum speeds in a moving cube is important because it helps us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It also allows us to optimize the speed of the cube for different purposes, such as minimizing travel time or maximizing energy efficiency.