Maxwells Equations and Time Invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-invariance of the dielectric function and its relationship to the time-dependence of solutions to Maxwells equations. It also touches on the concepts of quasi-stationarity, dispersion, and absorption in relation to ε. The discussion concludes with the acknowledgement that the topic is outside the scope of the speaker's expertise.
Niles
Hi

In my book it says that if the dielectric function ε is time invariant, we can write a solution to Maxwells equations of the form E(r, t) = E(r)exp(jωt). I agree that the ME are separable, but I don't see how they know that the time-dependence is harmonic? What is so special about exp(jωt) in this respect?Niles.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I understand it actually.. I just had to refresh my QM. Thanks.

Niles said:
Hi

In my book it says that if the dielectric function ε is time invariant, we can write a solution to Maxwells equations of the form E(r, t) = E(r)exp(jωt). I agree that the ME are separable, but I don't see how they know that the time-dependence is harmonic? What is so special about exp(jωt) in this respect?Niles.

[itex]\epsilon\;[/itex] is not time invariant in the sense because it is frequency dependent which means there is a [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}\;[/itex] dependent. There is no pure lossless dielectric, there is always a loss tangent for all dielectrics.

[tex]\vec E_{(\vec r,t)}=Re[\tilde E_{(\vec r)}e^{j\omega t}] \;\hbox { not }\;\vec E_{(\vec r,t)}=\tilde E_{(\vec r)}e^{j\omega t}[/tex]

And The phasor [itex]\tilde E_{\vec r}\;[/itex] do have the attenuation constant that has frequency dependent part. The question on your statement is whether frequency depend implies time dependent.

Last edited:
yungman said:
[itex]\epsilon\;[/itex] is not time invariant in the sense because it is frequency dependent which means there is a [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}\;[/itex] dependent. There is no pure lossless dielectric, there is always a loss tangent for all dielectrics.

Well, there is two things here:

1) ε might vary because of some external perturbation, but that will generally be very slow compared to optical frequencies, so in this sense can say that it is time invariant, so it is quasi stationary

2) ε might be influenced by the field itself assuming the field is strong enough -> nonlinear optics

I guess (1) is relevant for our discussion. That ε = ε(ω) means we have dispersion. Only if ε is complex do we have absorption.

Niles said:
Well, there is two things here:

1) ε might vary because of some external perturbation, but that will generally be very slow compared to optical frequencies, so in this sense can say that it is time invariant, so it is quasi stationary

2) ε might be influenced by the field itself assuming the field is strong enough -> nonlinear optics

I guess (1) is relevant for our discussion. That ε = ε(ω) means we have dispersion. Only if ε is complex do we have absorption.

I am going to stop here, I don't know optics, I based on RF microwave tx line which is still EM, but the environment is completely different and I am not qualified to talk on this. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Thanks for helping. By the way, the answer to my original question was (in principle) energy conservation.

Related to Maxwells Equations and Time Invariance

What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the cornerstones of classical electromagnetism.

What do Maxwell's Equations describe?

Maxwell's Equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, how these fields are generated, and how they interact with each other and with charged particles. They also describe the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

What is the significance of time invariance in Maxwell's Equations?

Time invariance in Maxwell's Equations means that the equations are valid at all times and in all reference frames. This is a fundamental property of the laws of physics and allows for the prediction and understanding of electromagnetic phenomena.

What is the role of symmetry in Maxwell's Equations?

Symmetry is an important aspect of Maxwell's Equations. The equations are symmetric under the interchange of electric and magnetic fields, which means that they are equally valid in the presence of either type of field. This symmetry helps to simplify and unify the equations.

What are some real-world applications of Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations have numerous applications in modern technology, including the development of radio and television communication, radar systems, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). They also play a crucial role in the understanding of electromagnetic waves, such as light, and how they interact with matter.