MCNP: Is it possible to make a "hole" in an fmesh tally?

• Thread starter ssapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole Mcnp
In summary, the conversation discusses a MCNP calculation with a source in the center of a building and a fmesh tally parallel to the ground. The person is interested in excluding certain regions from the tally, specifically the building's walls. It is suggested to use the "exclude" command in the input file to specify the excluded regions. Tallying only has a small impact on the code's speed, so having a few tallied voxels in irrelevant areas is not a major issue.
ssapp
Hello,

I am running a MCNP calculation where there is a source in the center of a building. I have put a fmesh tally parallel to the ground so that I can see how the particles disperse throughout the building and outside the building. However, I only really care about the results from the fmesh tally voxels outside the building's walls. Is there any way I can make a "hole" in my fmesh tally so the particles aren't tracked by the fmesh inside the building?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are doing a rectangular mesh then you can limit it to whatever rectangular region you are interested in. Then you can cover various regions with multiple tallies. From your description I would guess that to be the way to go.

If you are doing a cylindrical tally then you can't skip tallying from r=0 to some radius. The best you can do is one radial division for the part you want to ignore. It will have the same angular division at every radius, so if you have N angular divisions you will need to ignore all of them for the radius you want to ignore.

Tallying only slows the code a small amount. So having a small number of tallied voxels in places you don't care about is not a huge deal.

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in MCNP, but I did some research and it seems like there is a way to exclude certain regions from the fmesh tally. You can use the "exclude" command in your input file to specify which regions you want to exclude from the tally. So in your case, you would want to exclude the building's walls from the tally.

Here's an example of how the exclude command would look like in the input file:

FMESH 1 EXCLUDE 1 2 3 4

In the above example, the "1 2 3 4" represents the regions that will be excluded from the tally. You would need to replace those numbers with the regions that correspond to your building's walls.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your calculation.

Related to MCNP: Is it possible to make a "hole" in an fmesh tally?

1. Is it possible to make a "hole" in an fmesh tally?

Yes, it is possible to make a "hole" in an fmesh tally. This can be done by specifying a region of interest within the fmesh tally and setting the tally multiplier to zero for that region.

2. How do I specify a region of interest within the fmesh tally?

To specify a region of interest within the fmesh tally, you can use the "region" keyword followed by the region number or name. This region must be defined in the geometry input file.

3. What is the purpose of setting the tally multiplier to zero for a region of interest?

Setting the tally multiplier to zero for a region of interest allows you to exclude that region from the tally calculation. This is useful for creating "holes" in the tally or for excluding certain regions from the tally altogether.

4. Can I make multiple "holes" in an fmesh tally?

Yes, you can make multiple "holes" in an fmesh tally by specifying multiple regions of interest and setting the tally multiplier to zero for each of them.

5. Are there any limitations to making "holes" in an fmesh tally?

There are a few limitations to making "holes" in an fmesh tally. Firstly, the regions of interest must be fully contained within the fmesh tally. Additionally, the regions cannot overlap with each other. Finally, the regions must be defined in the geometry input file and cannot be created within the MCNP code.